Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Inffffffinity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

BT Infinity & cold and/or rain

Hi all,

Consistently have a max data rate of between 88000 and 90000 with infinity 2. 

I’ve noticed with heavy rain it tends to drop temporarily. However, with the recent cold weather and freezing temperatures, it has gone down to around 70000 and stayed there. I’ve seen the same thing happen in the past whenever it’s cold. Fortunately, the connection is still stable at 20/80 actual data rate and has not disconnected at any point.

We did have the line replaced a couple of years ago, and it now joins with the old line in a black box thing high on an external wall. Could there be water ingress here causing this?

Obviously not a problem at the moment, but still wondering what is causing such a big drop.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Infinity & cold and/or rain

'We did have the line replaced a couple of years ago, and it now joins with the old line in a black box thing high on an external wall. Could there be water ingress here causing this?'

I doubt it, water would cause the insulation to break down and corrod/oxidise the Copper Cable. The would cause a Rectified Loop and possibly an Earth.

With Fault conditions like that you have a noisy line long before you'd noticed Broadband problems.
0 Ratings