cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity and Airport Extreme. Happily ever after....?

Go to solution

Hi,

I have searched these forums, and whilst there are messages about what I am trying to find out, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, so I thought I would just ask specifically what I want to know.

Currently, I have BT ADSL to the house. I have a generic ADSL modem feeding into an Apple Airport Extreme. This, together with another Airport extreme elsewhere in the house provides excellent 802.11 ac WiFi. Everything runs perfectly with the Airport providing WiFi, DHCP and Firewall, with the modem just piping the outside world in.

I want to speed it all up by moving to BT Infinity, but I want to just pipe the feed in and leave the Airport to do everything else, just as it is now. This is where the messages in these forums have confused me slightly. What I would like to know is;

1. Will the Home Hub 5 that I have be able to run in bridge mode in the way that my cheap ADSL modem does now?

2. If so, what are the settings? I did try to use it for ADSL but could not get it to just pipe in the Internet,

hence using the generic modem.
3. If not, what is the recommended replacement for the Home Hub 5 to allow me to use BT Infinity into my

existing home network setup?

If this has been answered comprehensively elsewhere, I could not find it, so if there is an appropriate link, I would be grateful for that.

Keith

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity and Airport Extreme. Happily ever after....?

Go to solution

Purchasing an Opeenreach modem from a well known auction site would fulfill your needs perfectly.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

As advised visit a well known auction site.

I run and airport express on infinity via a BT openreach modem. Works a treat.

You can run the AE by connecting it via ethernet to a HH5. This works as well - I have done it. The HH5 is still acting as a router but to just one client - the AE. The AE handles everything connected to it.

My preference is buy an openreach modem. 

You might come across locked/unlocked. if locked you cannot access modem stats. Mine is locked.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you both for that. I take it then by not mentioning it directly, you are telling me that the BT Home Hub 5 will not operate in bridge mode as I hoped.

I will have a look for an Openreach modem, but am I right in thinking, that if I can't get one of those, that either of

1. DrayTek Vigor 2760 ADSL2+/VDSL2
    2. Billion BiPAC 8800NL VDSL2/ADSL2+

Would do the job as well, and be able to be setup in bridge mode similar to my current setup?

Keith

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I have no experience of the modem/routers you mention but no reason why they would not work.

A quick look at the Billion specs says it will work in modem mode only.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

I've had a similar setup in the past: AEBS + D-Link DSL modem.

I've switched over to BT Infinity now, and have yet to get my setup back to how it was.

Based on this thread, I'm going to try connecting the AEBS to the BT Hub (I'm sick of the flakey wifi network from the hub).

Ideally, I want to get back to AEBS + Modem...

1) Did you get that sorted?

2) If yes, what connection settings did you use on the modem? I've tried using my existing modem, but haven't managed to get an active Internet connection. In trying this out (and getting frustrated) - not sure if I messed up the modem settings (hard reset doesnt' seem to work?), or, I haven't got the right BT configuration.

Cheers

Gavin

0 Ratings