Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VeeMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity and Firewalls

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm interested in ordering the BT Infinity option 2, however I have noticed the BT website makes it quite clear that no other networking equipment (routers in specific) is compatible with the service.

The reason I am posting, is because I have a Juniper SSG20 firewall and a spare Draytek 2955, which is capable of dealing with more than 1 WAN (untrust) connection, and is much more expensive and will definitely be much better grade of equipment than the BT Infinity Home Hub.  I have no need for the home hub, and made it clear when I last spoke to Sales about this but they are adamant that I need the home hub because the modem is "special".

Now, I understand that you might be concerned for sake of providing technical support and quality of service in the case where a customer wants to attach for instance any of the other consumer-grade equipment to the modem, however these firewall/routers I've got is business grade, have a good reputation for reliability and also will deal with much more bandwidth at a much lower latency than the other equipment I have tested (including the Home Hub 2.0).

From what I can see and read on the net this is pretty much a bog-standard VDSL2 modem with an ethernet WAN interface.

Thus, I want to know whether it would be possible to take out the Infinity home hub and use Bridging on the WAN connection from the Openreach modem to one of my firewalls in order to establish a connection instead of using the Home Hub.

I'm an IT engineer with more than 13 years of experience and I don't need BT to help me configure the Juniper/Draytek as I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself and will never need to call them for assistance. 

v

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity and Firewalls

Go to solution

VeeMan

'If you have a router that supports Ethernet WAN, you may use this in place of the
BT Home Hub. Please bear in mind, though, that our helpdesk can’t help with
connection problems if you’re using a non-BT-supplied router.'

Thats directly from the HH Infinity manual, the modem is owned by Openreach so you have to use it.

0 Ratings
VeeMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for that. I was under the impression that this was not "allowed" and could breach terms & conditions, which it seems not to do.

0 Ratings
JediBUZ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

A Draytek 2750 can replace not only the hub but the openreach modem aswell

BT Infinity 80/20 using openreach's Huawei VDSL2 v3 modem connected to Apple Airport Extreme. (can highly recommend)
0 Ratings