cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foxmeister
Message 1 of 6

BT Infinity and REIN

I’m currently with BE unlimited when i first joined i received 6mb download and 1mb upload but recently i noticed the download speed had dropped to 3mb, after numerous phone calls to BE and 4 visits from openreach and a bt rein engineer it turns out a neighbours sky box is interfering with my broadband and another 4/5 houses in the street and basically there is nothing they can do about it. I was wondering if i signed up to bt infinity would my speed  be reduced by half. I have spoken to two different sales people from BT infinity and they both assured me rein does not affect the BT infinity service, and stated the speed i would receive would be 33mb download and 8.5 upload. Any advice would be gratefully received.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Infinity and REIN

Ask sales to put it in writing that rein does not affect the Infinity service

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 6

Sales exist for one thing only- to sell you something. If you know you are affected by a REIN problem it matters not which ISP you go to as it will still exiist, unless you can get Virgim Media.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The sales people are wrong REIN from a neighbour's Sky box is likely to affect VDSL signals as least as badly if not worse unless you are in one of the handful of areas which are testing Fibre to the Premises. Normal Infinity uses the same cables from the street cabinet to your house. Fibre is not affected by REIN but copper cables are. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Thats one of the reasons i said get sales to put it in writing. Much much better than a verbal conversation in a small claim s court.

Sales know they are talking c**p, they just want to get you into a contract with the knowledge that 99.9% of people will in the end suffer it rather than fight them.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
foxmeister
Message 6 of 6

I've just phoned sales again and asked for it in writing and they have refused, she seemed a bit unsure if interference would affect bt infinity and suggested ringing the technical department. 

After ringing technical the guy said unless you have fibre to the house then you would have problems with rein, and judging by speed loss I'm receiving now on adsl2+ the 33mb estimated would probably be 15-16mb.

0 Ratings