Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prinknash
Expert
Message 31 of 36

Re: BT Infinity and TP-LINK TD-W8980

Go to solution

I have the VR600 and would certainly recommend it - especially as it's gone down in price since I bought mine.

p

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 32 of 36

Go to solution
If only BT Home Hubs provided a modem-only passthrough mode! Adding a totally generic and very cheap broadband router on the back end would then be the same solution for techies who just want more tech features, as for non-techies who just want a problem solved. And no HH hardware would be wasted.

Pity it's just a dream. 😞
0 Ratings
tomhowson
Beginner
Message 33 of 36

Go to solution
Is there anything cheaper out there that you'd recommend?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 36

Go to solution
The cheapest vdsl modem/ router is the tp link td- w9970
0 Ratings
tomhowson
Beginner
Message 35 of 36

Go to solution

Do you think I'll get better range with the VR600 than I would with the BT Smart Hub? Not too fussed about features - just trying to get good coverage 

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 36 of 36

Go to solution

@tomhowson wrote:

Do you think I'll get better range with the VR600 than I would with the BT Smart Hub? Not too fussed about features - just trying to get good coverage 

It's hard to generalise because houses differ but I'd say I was getting better coverage with my VR600 than I got with the Smart Hub (which you'd expect, because of the external antennas.)

Apart from that, of course, you aren't subject to BT forcing new firmware on you and breaking your router. My VR600 has been running since early November and has required absolutely zero attention since then.

p