cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickRLondon
Message 1 of 3

BT Infinity and Zyxel Powerline Adapters - connection issue.

Hi,

I recently upgraded the Infinity and also moved house. So now I have the HH3 with BT Infinity. I use Zyxel Powerline adapters, but struggling to get a connection. 

I'm using the following to connect to the HH3 http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/pla4225.shtml?t=p and connecting through the Giga or Ethernet inputs on the back of the HH3 but when I try to connect my PC/Laptop to the Powerline adapter in my bedroom it cannot find the network.

Any thoughts? Should I be connecting the Powerline Adapter to the HH3 or the white router BT supply? Do I need to configure something when setting up the Ethernet connection with my PC? I'm using my BT account credentials XXXXXXXX@btinternet.com and password but it's not connecting.

Any inspiration/experimentation welcomed.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Infinity and Zyxel Powerline Adapters - connection issue.

Are you able to connect to the network if you use the powerline adapter in another room apart from the bedroom?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Infinity and Zyxel Powerline Adapters - connection issue.

Should I be connecting the Powerline Adapter to the HH3 or the white router BT supply?

Do I need to configure something when setting up the Ethernet connection with my PC? I'm using my BT account credentials XXXXXXXX@btinternet.com and password but it's not connecting.

Normally, connect one powerline to the HomeHub and the other to the PC.  If the PC has been set up in the standard way, it will then get a local ip address by DHCP from the HomeHub.  You might go to your PC ethernet adaptor settings and make sure they are set up for 'dhcp' and 'get DNS setttings automatically'.   You won't need to enter any credentials in the PC for this method.  You shouldn't go near the 'connect to the internet' dialog; it should just work automatically.

If you only want to connect a single PC, you could connect the first powerline to the white modem and leave out the HH3 completely.  You would then need to put credentials into the PC: the normal thing there is to enter user 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com', and the password doesn't matter.  That goes into a 'connect to the internet' dialog.

Make sure the 'internet' or whatever lights are blinking on both powerlines, otherwise there is a problem with those, or  the bedroom ring is not connected closely enough to the other ring.  Unlikely, I had a perfectly good connection through different rings and different fuse boxes on different floors with similar zyxel powerline (only single ethernet ones); at least until one stopped working altogether.

0 Ratings