Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

BT Infinity and contract issues

Hi.

I had BT infinity activated on 2 October 2015 and am just about to consider moving providers from BT but have hit a contract problem.

When first connected, I was offered speeds between 16-20mB but after 3 engineer visits, provision of a BT Openreach modem and involvement of the BT resolution team, the best I could receive was 12mB with a stable connection, which I was then told was my contracted minimum speed.  I accepted this as we are 1.5km from the cabinet and about 150m from the DP.  However, about 3 months ago my speed dropped to 8mB and then 3 weeks ago to 3mB.  Two attempts to correct faults and two more engineer visits have improved the speed but only back to 8mB.

So I thought why should I pay for 12mB but only receive 8mB and therefore I should move to another provider which, whilst offering no faster speed at least was significantly cheaper.  Then another set of problems arose.  I went back to see what my original contract stated (my memory of the verbal agreement was a minimum of 12mB speed for 18 months) only to find no written (email or other) confirmation of this.  Two (eventual) calls to UK BT personnel agreed that they also had no record of sending me a confirmatory email but I was told that despite this, I would be held to contract (18 months) and also that the contract now states that my minimum speed is only 6mB (although they agreed this was never confirmed with me in any format).

I suspect the reason for our loss in speed is that due to major road works the line from the cabinet to us had to be extended by a significant distance (so two new junctions) and the road contractors still managed to cut through this loop (so a thrid new junction).  I also asked BT if they would be renewing the line following the completion of the road works (thinking  it would reduce the distance again and remove 3 new junctions) only to be told that the line is nothing to do with BT so the answer was a firm 'no'.  This all came from the BT Options team.

My question is not a technical one as I trust the engineers.  It is more about how can a company break a contract on their side yet hold the customer to their side of the agreement?

Thanks.

cj63

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Infinity and contract issues

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

0 Ratings
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Infinity and contract issues

Thanks for the response.

The info requested is given below.  I've managed to find some that was from October 2015.

Dec 2015

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

FTTC Range A (Clean)

--

Available

FTTC Range B (Impacted)

--

Available

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 2.5

--

1 to 4

Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M

Up to 2.5

Up to 0.5

1 to 4

Available

ADSL Max

Up to 2

--

1 to 3.5

Available

WBC Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Other Offerings

Fibre Multicast

--

--

--

Available

Copper Multicast

--

--

--

Available

Now

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean)

--

Available

--

--

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

--

Available

--

--

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 3

--

2 to 4

Available

--

Yes

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M

Up to 3

Up to 0.5

2 to 4

Available

--

Yes

ADSL Max

Up to 2

--

1 to 3

Available

--

--

WBC Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

Yes

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

--

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast

--

--

--

Available

--

--

ADSL Multicast

--

--

--

Available

--

--

BTW tests:

Download speed: 8.54

Upload speed: 0.63

Ping latency: 33.75

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

8.5 Mbps

0 Mbps

8.05 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.5 Mbps  For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 5.63 Mbps-8.05 Mbps .  Additional Information:  IP Profile for your line is - 8.05 Mbps

1. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

0.71 Mbps

0 Mbps

2 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.71Mbps  Additional Information:  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

Hope these help.

0 Ratings