cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 169

Re: BT Infinity and downloading Torrents

It takes about a week to settle down to your local optimum speed, with a new install.

In the end we will all be star dust.
Then start all over again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 169

Depends what time you do it. I got install 2 days ago. During the peak times all i can get is about 3k but during the day i can get 3mbps (downloaded 700mb file in about 2min)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 169

Thanx for the info guys

Just annoys me that I am paying for 40mb and getting 2mb....

Before midday is the best time

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 169

Torrent speeds do not rely on the speed of your connection, they rely on the amount of seeders distributing said torrent, only go for torrents with a high number of seeders.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 169

You didn't know that BT throttle torrents before signing up? An easy error to make as the Infinity salesperson I spoke to earlier didn't know either.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/bt-broadband-fair-usage-policy

"Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical, e.g., downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing, we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 169

your torrent speeds will depend on,

1. the time of day, peak period torrents will be throttled (approx 4pm - 12 midnight)

2. the amount of torrents your downloading,  multiple torrents equal higher combined download speeds

3. the amount of seeders and leechers in the swarm on each torrent, the higher on both the better

and then if you fulfill  those requirements, and your client is correctly setup by running the set-up wizard, correct ports forwarded, firewall correctly set up etc, you may get lucky and get halfway decent speeds, my advice is schedule your torrent downloads for off peak hours and you'll hit maximum speeds.

Upload speeds will always be slow on torrents anyone on Infinity with say an 8 Mbit upload speed who thinks they will be able to upload torrents at 8 Mbit/s or thereabouts will be sadly disappointed. My highest upload speeds on torrents have been no higher than 1 Mbit/sec at any time.  My highest download speeds off-peak approx 35 Mbit/sec

and if your thinking about torrent encryption ... it doesn't improve anything speedwise.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 17 of 169

I get higher upload speeds, depending on the number of leeches. You missed one vital piece of info trhough. Your torrent client should be set to use no more than 80% of your available upload bandwidth otherwise you'll just be throttling yourself.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 169

on Utorrent & Bit torrent,  running the wizard automatically sets your uploads to 80% of max, as long as you have the 2  confirmation lights on the wizard showing green, your good to go.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 19 of 169

hi i have got bt infinity with unlimeted internet and i cont downlode more then 200 kb a secont at any time day and night on bittorrent  and there is nothink rong with my speed becaue i download a file off download cent and it was downloading 4.1 meg a sec can someone help plz

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 169

I was pulling 4mb/s on a torrent at about 6pm and uploading at 250kb/s which isvwhat ive limited my up speed to
0 Ratings