cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ge1971
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity and online gaming - has BT changed traffic shaping policies ? Have I been lied to ?

We use our internet a great deal for online gaming and a few months ago on our old ISP games started to become unplayable due to extremely slow response times. After a great deal of investigation I discovered the reason for this...

Some ISPs examine the sort of data being transferred and when they think the data is Peer-To-Peer traffic they place this in a low-priority queue.  Historically, most people didn't care as 99% of P2P traffic was illegal file-sharing.

BUT, online games are increasingly making use of data packet formats that 'look' like P2P traffic.  The gaming data is incorrectly identified as being P2P file-sharing and placed in a low priority queue.  This makes online gaming, where responses need to be made in fractions of seconds impossible - you often just stand still for 5 seconds while the rest of the world moves on.

This is what happened with our old ISP and why we looked around for a new provider. Infinity recently came to our area and while browsing the Infinity information on the BT site I was asked if I wanted to speak to a customer service rep.  I wasn't expecting a very helpful discussion, but figured it couldn't do any harm to ask a very specific question:  "Do you perform traffic-shaping on P2P traffic?" -  the rep went away to find out and then responded "BT never shape P2P traffic".  (I have screenshots of this conversation as it formed the basis of my decision to subscribe to Infinity).

Flash forward a month.  We have Infinity and have been very pleased with it ..until tonight when the same problems started again.  

Several speed-test sites report pings about 20ms, download speeds of 30-40mpbs  - all very nice, same it has been for the past month.

BUT, tonight all online gaming has ground to a halt.  

Typical pings reported in games like World of Warcraft have gone from 50-100ms to about 3000-5000s.

Online chatter is FULL of people asking if anyone else is having problems; and yes, the ones I've spoken to are all on BT.

So - 

Have BT changed their policy ?

Are they now aggressively shaping traffic it thinks is P2P-related ?

Are the problems tonight related to a temporary glitch or a permanent change in policy ?

I'd really like to know as I've still got proof of BT's answer to a direct and specific question about this sort of policy and if it's changed will need to change ISPs and reclaim setup costs.

Any information from anyone who knows about this would be most welcome.

8 REPLIES 8
ge1971
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity and online gaming - has BT changed traffic shaping policies ? Have I been lied to ?

...and here are just a small sample of the discussions going on...

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1991900369
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1991950336

- all on BT, all suffering badly.

The good news is that I've just checked and still have about a week or so in which to cancel my BT contract; which I will definitely be doing if I find I've been lied to, or BT have changed policies.

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Infinity and online gaming - has BT changed traffic shaping policies ? Have I been lied to ?

Both of your links report that 

"Due to technical issues, our European Community and Support sites are currently unavailable. We’re working hard to get them back online as soon as possible.
        Battle.net services are working as normal, and you can click below to access and manage your account.
        Thank you for your patience!"

Could there problem actually extend to gameplay??

0 Ratings
ge1971
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I think that's a separate issue related to maintenance of their BattleNet servers - they were working until a few minutes ago, so I guess will be active again soon.

When the links are back you'll see lots of people asking what's wrong with the gaming experiences; despite having perfectly fine internet connections; and all the ones I've seen say their ISP is BT.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 9

It was merely a thought.

They are back up now.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 9

Hi ge1971,

Welcome to the forums 🙂 I'm sorry to hear of the problems you're having. I've posted an update on this issue here, so if you could keep an eye on that thread hopefully I'll have more info soon.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
deltron
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

i'm on infinity and my wow is fine atm,no problems recently either here.
0 Ratings
ge1971
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

..it's worth mentioning that if BT have changed their traffic-shaping policies in the past day or so then you will probably only notice a change in game performance during peak hours - most ISPs only marshal traffic between (say) 6 and 11pm.

0 Ratings
billyboy147
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Having the same proplem on xbox live speed drops from 38mb and 6.5 upload to 12mb and 1.2 upload every night

from 6 till midnight my infinity was great for the first 8 months and has drop over the last month what are BT doing.!

0 Ratings