Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chiquitita
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity availability

Hi there!

Currently I am not a BT customer, but I would sign up with BT if I could get BT Infinity.

When I check my number on https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html the result I get is that my line "currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 70.5 Mbps and upstream line speed of 20 Mbps". My Exchange is MUSWELL HILL in London, which was one of the first to support fibre optic in the country.

In spite of the above, when I try to sign up for BT Infinity and I quote my address and postcode, the result I get is that BT Infinity is not available to me.

All the neighbours around me seem to be able to get BT Infinity. I live in no. 91 of a High Road... Flat 89 can get BT Infinity and flat 93 and 95 can also get BT Infinity.

Whilst I do understand that not all addresses connected to an Exchange can get BT Infinity, it does seem puzzling that out of all the properties in my side of the High Road it is only one particular flat that is not connected (mine), especially given that when I check my actual phone number on BTWHOLESALE checker, it comes up saying that it does support fibre optic.

I have rung BT and they are unable to explain this to me. They have no suggestions, other than I should "wait" until I am notified that my line has been updated to fibre optic (the checker is saying that it already supports it).

Can anyone explain this to me? Is there anything I can do other than "wait"? It seems to me there is a technical glitch of some kind.

Many thanks!

Amaia

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity availability

Have you tried ringing B.T sales here? 0800 800 150. They'll be able to test your line there and then whether you can or can't get Infinity, seems odd if you can't.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Chiquitita
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi there

Yes, I have tried ringing the BT Sales number. The response I get is that BT Infinity is not available on my line. However when I mention to them that the BT Wholesale ADSL availability checker states my line does support Fibre Broadband, they seem confused, though they don't offer a solution. I'm just told I will be contacted when the service is available...

All other Fibre Broadband providers (Talk Talk, Plusnet, Eclipse) are telling me that I CAN get Fibre Optic Broadband when I quote my telephone number and post-code. How come they all seem to think my line does support Fibre Optic and BT is telling me otherwise (though their own checker states my line is ready for Fibre Optic)?

Am I getting this response because I'm currently not a BT customer?

If BT cannot clarify the situation, I will have to sign up with an alternative provider. It would be great if BT could clarify.

Kind regards.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 7

Problems like this are not unknown and are usually a fault with the database.

Easiest solution is to contact the mods who will find out the correct situation for you. It may take up to 3 days for a responce.

hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

it could be that your cabinet is already at capacity.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 7

@hifistud wrote:
it could be that your cabinet is already at capacity.

Possible but highly doubtful. Happens but rarely.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Contact the moderators.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings