Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonnyDog
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity availabilty Barnby Moor, Retford, Nottinghamshire

Go to solution

Does anyone have an update on the availabilty of FTTC in the Barnby Moor area? A BT engineer visted my house today attending to a fault, and said that FTTC would be available as soon as April/May. However, searching BT website indicates nothing in the offing.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity availabilty Barnby Moor, Retford, Nottinghamshire

Go to solution
Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only line which will mean you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

can you see a new can near or next to your existing pcp cab?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DonnyDog
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ................on Exchange RETFORD is served by Cabinet 16

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3Available
ADSL MaxUp to 0.5--0.25 to 1.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

At the present the cabinet I am on (Cabinet 16) is too far away for me to get fibre, even though the cabinet itself is enabled. As and when work is completed in Barnby Moor, I have been told that my line will be re-outed from Barnby Moor, which is in the opposite direction, and that I will be connected to a much closer enabled cabinet that is due to be installed to connect another rural property which is about half-way between me and Barnby Moor. This is supposed to happen in April/May according to the engineer who visted our house yesterday. However, BT's various websites indicate that that there are no plans for fibre when I search against my telephone number. I was wondering, therefore, if anyone around the Barnby Moor area had any news on this, or had yet received fibre.

As I currently get a download speed of only 0.3 Mb/s, you will understand why I am anxious to know whether this might really happen!

0 Ratings
DonnyDog
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

Did you mean 'new cab', (as in cabinet)? If so, there is a recently installed large green unmarked cabinet on the outskirts of Barnby Moor, but the cabinet which may be helpful to me is supposedly to be installed somewhere nearer to us in April?May. My other reply (above) gives a more detailed explanation.

I'm afraid I don't know what a pcp cabinet is!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

yes I did mean cab (typo)

if you are to far from cabinet then it would be unusual for your line to be re-routed as openreach have specifically said they will not do that just so customer can get fibre - unless it suits openreach. 

just need to keep fingers crossed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DonnyDog
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks again. So what is a 'pcb' cabinet?

If they did re-route me (and I understand your caution!), how close would the new cabinet have to be to get fibre? In other words, what is the longest length of copper BT consider viable for FTTC? (The nearest they could realistically put it to serve the other customer I referred to would still place it over a mile from our house).

If they don't re-route us, would there be any point in having a FTTC service from my existing cabinet, which is about  2 1/2 miles away? (This would still reduce our effective copper length by a half).

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

this may help  http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

20130423_135623.jpg

the pcp is the cab on right and fibre cab is one on left

DonnyDog
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks again. The chart suggests the existing cabinet may be too far, but a mile or so certainly looks viable (and offers a good bit more than I'm getting now!).

I'll have a good look at the new cabinet next time I pass to see which type it is. It certainly stands alone at present.

0 Ratings