cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Chaoss
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Infinity available at my exchange, still can't get it, London's first broadband 'slow-spot'

OK I won't bore you all to much with the details of the quest to get an internet connection, but it basically goes like this. I moved address and when I tried to 'move' my BT Infinity service was told it was not available at my new address. I did a check on SamKnows and it said it was availabe. So I've decided to go with Virmin Media as that is the only other high speed provider in this country. After registering and setting up an account I was given various installation dates and the engineer never showed up on any of them, this went on for a whole 2 months until finally I get a call from their installations department telling me the cost is simply too much and demand to low to install services here and this area is now unable to get cable services at all!

A "slow-spot" is an area where you can only get a broadband service with a speed of below 2 Mbps (downstream)

With no other option I have had no other choice but to go and pick up ADSL broadband with an estimated speed of 1.6Mbit down. I figured I'd go for the buisiness package and if I move I can have buisiness Infinity. My post code is N7 8JE, this is in London Zone 2 on Holloway Road which is very central (I can walk to Kings Cross in 20 minuites!) and I cannot get respectable broadband which unfortunately I need for my job. I need an upload of at least 5Mbit and I now have to suffer with something in the region of 200kb. I have done a lot of research and tried all the not known about ISP's but in 90% of cases they use BT's Openreach network and can only offer the same or worse speeds. the other 10% were not available in my area (I've heard that one before)

I did have hope that the 4G network EE might offer a solution... that is until they announced their price plans and data limits... 5GB A MONTH!? for £35.... nope! (2005 called, they want their data plans back).

So as it stands BT come to install their Buisiness phone+ ADSL broadband. Some light on the situation is they said IF it ever becomes available in the area they can put me on the better package free. I was told by the guy I was ordering it from that after the order he'll so a check to see when my cabinate will get Infinity, unfortunately we both forgot and disconnected, and on calling BT back they just do the standard check. I was wondering if anyone can give me some hope and/or advice here on how to improve my situation.

I design game environments and virtual worlds, and I am often uploading and downloading large files along with the engine I use is supposed to require at minimum a 4Mbit connection both ways. I am as you can see a little stuck. Is there any hope?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Infinity available at my exchange, still can't get it, London's first broadband 'slow-spot'

Don't get scammed with this whole 4G, it's 3G technology.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Chaoss
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: BT Infinity available at my exchange, still can't get it, London's first broadband 'slow-spot'

I can't anyway, I didn't even pass their credit check lol. I'm not paying £40 odd for 5 meesely GB's a month
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 10

your on a exchange only line your not connected to a cabinet so fibre to the cabinet is out
your best hope is for fibre to the home which is slowly being rolled out
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 10

Hi Chaoss,

It looks like your on a EO (exchange Only Line).

Unless your exchange is FTTP/H ready then Unfortunatly EO lines are currently unable to have fibre broadband such as BT Infinity due to your line not connecting to a cabinet which would allow FTTC.

Please bear in mind that in some cases it may not be possible to provide FTTC broadband in areas due to: 

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

There are different stages to the development of the fibre infrastructure in the UK.
If you have an EO Line then currently you will not be able to have FTTC broadband as your line isn't connected to a cabinet. In these instances Openreach plan to connect some areas that have EO lines with either FTTP or other fibre technologies in the future.
This video explains more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p0qN5XHuI5Q
Also check the Openreach "Power of Fibre" website: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/the-power-of-fibre.aspx

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for upto date information as these are updated regularly.
The openreach When and Where website is: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (your communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 10

You maybe interested in this link here: http://goo.gl/MNb8s

It's about rural areas and areas with poor broadband getting superfast broadband.

There are some useful links that may help

cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Chaoss
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

OK Thanks for checking that out, it is very informative, I am guessing FTTP is half way between FTTC and ADSL am I correct?

Is there any news of when my exchange (Lower Holloway) will be FTTP activated or a rollout plan I can check up on?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 10

no fttp is full fibre from the exchange to your modem
0 Ratings
twitchpng
Message 9 of 10

FOUR YEARS LATER AND STILL LOWER HOLLOWAY DOES NOT PROVIDE FIBRE!!!!

When will be receive it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only line which will mean you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.
0 Ratings