cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT Infinity available date always two days away!

Hi folks, interested to see if anyone else experienced this, and if so what the cause of the delay was and how long it finally took to arrive.

My local exchange (Stony Stratford) has been Infinity ready for a little over 6 months, and my local cabinet (about 50 yards from my front door) was scheduled for 30th September.  On September 28th a bunch of Openreach engineers arrived, dug the roap up opposite the cab and pulled all the cable in, so I was getting quite excited.

September 30th arrived and I rang BT to order, but was told it wasn't available, so double-checked the BT website and sure enough the availability dte was pushed out to October 2nd.  Ever since, it's ALWAYS been two days away, i.e. yesterday it would be available October 12th, today it says October 13th.  The day before yesterday it was October 11th...you get the idea.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Infinity available date always two days away!

Hi Will,

Yes dates due change quite often.

Exchange being enabled always comes first. Then they start commissioning cabinets, sometimes in groups.

You say that the engineers arrived and started pulling in cables on the 28th Sept. Unfortunatley if thats the case you still have some way to go yet , maybe 6-12weeks..

In my situation, after Openreach have done there cabling, the next stage about a week later was the digging of the trench for the power supply, then electrical contractors to Install the supply, then contractors again to fill in the trench.

A couple of weeks after that Openreach was doing more work and then about a week later somebody was checking and commissioning the cabinet. Then about 2 or 3 weeks later the Cabinet went live and Infinity was available to order..

If you are at the stage of trenches, I believe you still have some time to go yet.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Bummer...might have been the power cables that were pulled in a few days ago. The cabinet is new and the type used for Inifinity installs (I was told by a BT engineer who visited my premises to fix some other issues a few weeks back), but even so this moving out one day at a time so it's always available two days hence is pretty darnn frustrating!

Trenches were dug on the 28th (it might not have been Openreach engineers, I only saw a white van as I passed in the morning on the way to work) and when I got home it was all filled in again, so I didn't get the chance to poke my nose in and ask what was happening.
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to the cabinet and listem for a humming sound (cooling fans), that would show it's connected up and awaiting comissioning.

Once you can hear that then it's imminent.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Good tip, thanks.

I'll pop over tonight when I home and look like an idiot with my head pressed up to the cab 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

@WillGilbert wrote:
Good tip, thanks.

I'll pop over tonight when I home and look like an idiot with my head pressed up to the cab 🙂

Weve all been thereSmiley Very Happy with the local population looking on with amusement.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 21

WillGilbert wrote:...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Certainly have but in my case it's always 6 see the airport thread.

Cheers

Alan

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Double post...

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Well, the inevitable seems to have happened, just as it has to so many others and today (after three weeks of the "available" date moving out one day at a time, every day) has been pushed back to 31st December 2011...

Ho hum, I'll just have to wait to see what happens next.

I listened with my ear to the cabinet by the way, not sure if I could hear a faint humming or not, but I think I probably couldn't.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

@WillGilbert wrote:

Well, the inevitable seems to have happened, just as it has to so many others and today (after three weeks of the "available" date moving out one day at a time, every day) has been pushed back to 31st December 2011...

Ho hum, I'll just have to wait to see what happens next.

I listened with my ear to the cabinet by the way, not sure if I could hear a faint humming or not, but I think I probably couldn't.

No probably not powered yet as it's quite easy to hear the fans.

Don't lose heart my checker dates got within a couple of days a couple of times then jumped 3 months but within a week of this last delay  Infinity became available.

Apologise if regular viewers have seen my progress a few times before...... Smiley Happy

My fibre progress has been.-

Dec 2010 I spoke to the Openreach engineers putting the cables in in my towns high street.... they said everything was going according to plan.

April Fibre Cabinet installed next to my smaller PCP cabinet.

May various visits from Openreach wiring up and powering up.

The BT wholesale and Infinity website checkers initially showed.-

March 2011 this changed shortly after Christmas to

July 1 then in June it changed to

June 30th then in mid June it changed to

June 22nd then as this date drew near it suddenly changed to

Sept 30th 2011

Then on 1st July the Checkers showed it was available.

On the 4th July BT phoned me.... Only offered me the Infinity package with Unlimited and Anytime calls.

This was also the only package available to me if I ordered thru the BT Infinity checker website. 

On the 7th July I phoned sales and ordered the Infinity option 1 with 40GB cap and Weekend calls.

And added an uplift for Anytime UK landline calls.

15th July Infinity installed.  :smileyhappy:

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings