cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Infinity available date always two days away!

Some progress!  Yesterday I was working from home and when I popped out at lunchtime there were a couple of guys digging up opposite the cab so I went over to see what was going on.  This is where they'd dug it up before.

Thia site, FYI, is on the opposite side of the road from the existing cabinet, which is a new type FTTC cab...more about this in a moment.

Apparently when they dug it up before the ground was too hard to "rod through" under the road to connect the two cabinets together.  This time they'd brought more heavy duty machinery to get the job done, and they were busy laying conduit in the ground in preparation for the new cabinet.

The reasons there's already a new "FTTC" type cab there is because it's a larger cabinet that the old ones and they needed it for the extra space because they old cab was overcrowded purely with the number of lines that were running from it.  The new cab will provide extra space AND house the fibre equipment.

The next stage will apparently be to bring all the cables in to the new cab site, power etc and whoopty do! 🙂

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

...and today the date has moved back in again, but only to the 29th of October (the old "it's only two days away" game again?)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 21

@WillGilbert wrote:

...and today the date has moved back in again, but only to the 29th of October (the old "it's only two days away" game again?)

Hi Will, you said in your previous post:

The next stage will apparently be to bring all the cables in to the new cab site, power etc and whoopty do!:smileyhappy:

In that case I think you will have to forget the 29th OctoberSmiley Wink

Did you read this from pippincp:

Cabinet comissioning process.(halfway down)

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Yes, I've read it so I know what to expect, and I'm not counting on the 29th of October at all, but at least I can see some progress now.

Timely update this, because a big low loader with 6 Huawei cabinets on the back in packing crates has just pulled up and is waiting for the workmen to get back from their lunch break 🙂

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

I dont think they do things in any perticular order, Ive had cabinet since dec 2010 power since i think march, Just been speaking to a bt blokey working on cab(he`d come from cumbria to north east so at least they are trying) , he said there has been a problem with the ducting. Least I know now why ive been waiting so long. The ducts are done now just waiting for cable to be blown which the gadgy said later this month..

might make dec 2011 Smiley Surprised.  How long will it take to be up and running once fibre blown?

Colin..

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Things have improved slightly since my last post.  The new cabinet is installed and the workers have finished digging up the road.  The new cab is on the opposite side of the road from the old one, and the original plan was to rod through underground to the new cab site but because of all the good weather we've had the ground was too hard so they had to reschedule works to dig the road up and lay trunking.

All this work is now completed, so there's a nice underground passageway linking the two cabinets.  I presume BT will next link the cabs together and from there (fingers crossed) infinity won't be too far away.

The big change now is that according to the website checkers I'm always one day away from Infinity greatness!  It's always showing as available "tomorrow".

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 21

Tomorrow will come one day.... Smiley Happy

Really impressed that the Openreach engineers didn't just write that cab off as unproductive due the extra work needed.

And it's interesting reading your progress.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 18 of 21

BT Openreach van arrived this morning just as I was leaving for work with a large spool of thick black cable.

Didn't have any opportunity to speak to the engineer.  What's this cable likely to be?  Fibre between the two cabinets, or power cable?

Will

PS. Availability date moved out to 31st December again today

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Well...good old BT.

Now, according the ADSL checker and BT Infinity website it's not even planned for my area...despite them having put in the new FTTC cabinet and all.

Oh joy....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 21

Hi Will.

Pop over to this thread:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-no-longer-coming-to-my-local-cabinet/td-p/352291

post 6, from Dean one of the mods.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings