Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonty789
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity cabinets

Go to solution

Hi

I have placed a order for BT Infinity 1 unlimited which is 38mbps. I am also getting a second phone line with it.

I went with 38mbps plan because when I typed in my post code into "can you get fibre broadband" and then it said your esimated download is 43mbps and your estimated upload speed is 10mbps

However when i did the fibre checker for the street that is 15 metres near to me, that street can get 72mbps download and 20mbps upload? I just don't understand it. It virtually like 15 metres near to me yet it can get 72mbps but not me?

I think there is two fibre cabinet near to my house. I dunno if the bt fibre checker is getting speed from that other fibre cabinet? 

If that is the case is it possible that can I get 72mbps from the other fibre cabinet? I don't even know if it is the cabinet or anything. 

However I have to add that when I did the fibre check few days ago it said i can have 6mbps upload (forgot what the download speed was) and I did the fibre checkter today and it said I can do 10mbp upload however BT openreach is not doing anything in my area.  Is it a glitch with the BT fibre checker?

If it ISN'T a glitch then is it possbile that the BT openreach enginner can help me to get on those 72mbps? (I would like to be on BT infinity 2) I am having a new line so maybe that makes it more easy?

Thanks and sorry for long post!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
richmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity cabinets

Go to solution

Don't belive the checker, the engineer who puts the fibre in will tell you the max speed, and if you want to you can upgrade after. Better than trying to downgrade, BT will try to stiff you for "early cancelation"

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

The engineer has no control over the package you are on. He works for Openreach and your ISP is BT - two sepatate companies.

If, once your telephone number has been entered into the database, you find you can get higher speeds then you just need to upgrade to Infinity 2.

0 Ratings
dazzarfc12
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Have you checked the adsl checker mate that gives good results

0 Ratings
jonty789
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

OK thanks guys for your answer 🙂 

Yeah i think the speed checker isn't reliable cos i did a check on one street and one house has got 78mbps while the next house has 41mbps.

But how would the Openreach enginner can check my max speed? If I choose 38mbps then won't it max at that or open reach enginner got their own equpiment to test maximum speed at my house?

@ dazzarfc12

Thanks for the link however I can't use that site because our current line is not BT. Also the postcode doesn't show for FTTC

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Try the address checker
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@jonty789 wrote:

OK thanks guys for your answer 🙂 

Yeah i think the speed checker isn't reliable cos i did a check on one street and one house has got 78mbps while the next house has 41mbps.

But how would the Openreach enginner can check my max speed? If I choose 38mbps then won't it max at that or open reach enginner got their own equpiment to test maximum speed at my house?

@ dazzarfc12@dazzarfc12

Thanks for the link however I can't use that site because our current line is not BT. Also the postcode doesn't show for FTTC

Well what you have to remember is that even though houses might be right next to each other they might not be connected to the same cab, or the line might have a weird route between the cab and the house with the slower speed. Best to get an authoratative answer though once you are connected up.

0 Ratings
jonty789
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Yeah hm I think I will just wait for open reach to come around and see what maxmium speed I can get.

Thank you guys for replying 🙂

If I could I would mark all of your answer as solution 🙂

0 Ratings