cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

BT Infinity connection!!!!!!!!!!

Could anybody shed any light on this for me as I am getting no where with the "amazing customer service"

Had infinity installed 2 weeks ago and no problems at all getting started and everything however my problem is the download speed I am getting. I am getting 40MBPS at the hub and hard wired it remains that which is fair enough but lets be honest in this day and age not many of us have a computers hard wired! So my point being that when I use it wireless with the hub BT supplied, I am lucky to get 18MBPS. Now I know the rate won't be as good over wireless as it would be hard wired but surely this is not acceptable? Is there anybody out there getting the same treatment? The call centre said there must be interference like a socket or a lamp, I said I hope you are joking as I am an electrician and I know for a fact that there would be no issue.

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it as I do not want to go down the cancellation route

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Infinity connection!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with wireless is that there really are a hundred and one things that can affect it.
Other people using the same wireless Channel. Mobile phones or even walls.
Are u using the 2.4 or 5hgz frequency?
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Yeah i know what you mean, but just think its a hell of a drop for the money im paying.

I am usin the 2.4

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Two weeks ago means u are using the home hub 4. This supports 5ghz, if your laptop does not then try download an application that analyses wireless signal. I use inssider. This will show you the channels of other wireless APs around you. The HH4 is meant to have smart channel switching but nothing is fool proof. See what's around you and change the router to a free channel. The main ones are 1,6 and 11 for 2.4ghz
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

On a side note. I assume you are using wireless N?
Try change the wireless settings to 40mhz only. This will be n only and full 300mb.
Just bare in mind that wireless is a half duplex technology while wired connection is ful, duplex
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 6

The OP's real-time attainable wireless rate would point towards a wireless g network card. With wireless g there's not much you can do to get much more speed.

Wireless N has a max of 300 if dual band which will give a real-time attainable of about 220-250Mbps due to the overheads involved.

A single band wireless N will give a max of 150Mbps with a real-time attainable of about 80-110Mbps.

5GHz  would give more channels with less interference at a cost of range

0 Ratings