Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: BT Infinity continuously dropping out

A furtther update.

Now have a senior level 2 case manager BT engineer on the case and he has confirmed that my line is dropping out up to 100 times a day, which he agrees is unaceptable so a third engineer is on his way.  That is after more work at the exchange which they assured me had resolved the problem.

Also in contact with main TP-Link engineer who tells me that the BT modulation settings are incompatible with their modems (I'm no technician but something about Annexe A and B), a problem thay have not met before.  So looks like I will be returning the second modem and will consider a BT Openreach one after the next engineer visit if the problem persists.

BTW - BT advised using the username firstname.lastname@btbroadband.com with no password (or just 'bt' if the modem insists).  I've tried all options and suggestions but none make any difference.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

there are many on the forum using a tplink9980 without any problems so certainly not incompatible with BT broadband

the username should be bthomehub@btbroadband.com and passsword anything most just use BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

Your email addy will also work.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

@pippincp wrote:

Your email addy will also work.

I think you will find that won't work. You can use your BT Broadband user name which is not necessarily the same as your email address or at least mine are different. It would in any event have to be a BT email address and not just any email address.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/644/~/how-do-i-configure-my-non-bt-router-to-work-wit...

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

@cj63 wrote:

A furtther update.

Also in contact with main TP-Link engineer who tells me that the BT modulation settings are incompatible with their modems (I'm no technician but something about Annexe A and B), a problem thay have not met before.  So looks like I will be returning the second modem and will consider a BT Openreach one after the next engineer visit if the problem persists.

I'm not impressed with TP Link engineers, I was told my TP Link TD-W9980 supported G.Inp at a time when it didn't. If the 9980 has the latest 150507 firmware, it should pretty much set itself up. Just select xDSL Modem Router mode in the Operation mode tab and BT_VDSL in the quick setup tab, enter homehub@btbroadband.com as username and BT as password and that is all you have to do.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Yes gg, I should have been clear it would be your BT email AKA user name.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Hi pippincp

I still don't think an email address will work ie. anything@btinternet.com I think it has to be anything@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
cj63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 22

Hi all.

Final update.

TP-Link modems wouldn't work so all returned. BT Customer Resolution team involved and third Openreach engineer installed one of their modems as a 'last' resort after multiple tests of HomeHub modem and line (said problem was low SNR for the distance from the cabinet (1.8km)).  First 2 days had line drop out several times but now stable for 4 days and speeds reaching 12.5mB.

I'm an optimist!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

Fingers crossed it's sorted for you!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 22

@cj63 wrote:

Hi all.

Final update.

TP-Link modems wouldn't work so all returned.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Are you sure it was the TD-W9980 and not a different model ADSL modem/router. I can assure you the 9980 works just fine with Infinity.

0 Ratings