cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlecTR
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT Infinity did not solve my speed issue.

Hello,

I swtiched to BT infinity today.

Sometime during December 2013, my evening til late night's download speed has been dropping to a 1/5 to what i always and have been getting for the past 2 years. Nomally, i have 16mb/s. It drops to 3-5mb/s. My upload speed is just below 1 mb/s, and upload speed stays fine even when my download speed has dropped throughout all evenings. For all these tests, I have used BT Wholesale performance test.

I found out that BY Infinity was available in my area around 21st Dec. I ordered it on that day, and activation date is 9th January 2014.

Today engineer came around and installed BT Infinity to my house, download speed was 61 mb/s once he installed it, it was pretty close to my predicted donwload speed (75mb/s). Upload is 16 mb/s and 19 mb/s predicted.

It came to about 6pm or so, where usually my broadband speed will drop from 16 mb/s to about 4 mb/s. I was just watching streams and realized even with download speed of 61 mb/s during this afternoon, i am now recieving 5.56 mb/s. 5.56 mb/s is basically no difference in having BT Infinity compared with broadband. Upload being about 15 mb/s (upload speed seems fine).

I have contacted technical issue's department a couple of days before my activation for Infinity, they garenteed that i will have constant speed (maybe max of 10 mb/s -/+), but this is extremely rediculous, from 60 mb/s to 5 mb/s.

I know internet speed takes time to settle, usually 48 hours after installation. However, this issue is very clearly to me that speed is unstable because of installation of Infinity since the exact same problem exsist. I am very disappointed with BT, after having to wait 3 weeks for the engineer to install Infinity and speed is no better than my old broadband.

p.s:  When i did all these tests, I used cable connection even changed cables and tested on a different pc while no other devices are connected to the Router and yet no changes in the download speed at all.

Thanks for reading.

Alec

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Infinity did not solve my speed issue.

Unfortunately your speed will fluctuate during the first few days and as such BT will not do anything until the ten day "training" period has passed.

It should stabilise after two or three days, if it does not it could be that you have had a poor installation. As a matter of interest, was it an Openreach engineer or a contractor installer that carried out you installation.  

I am not saying all contractors are poor but they are less likely to notice any wiring problems within the property than an Openreach engineer. 

If it doen't improve over the next couple of days I would report a fault regardless of the 10 day period.

0 Ratings
AlecTR
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Yeah, it was a Openreach engineer.

I  am really confused right now, i dont believe it is due to some bad wiring because i have never had issues such as speed dropping only in the evening. This only started some time last month where download speed is very slow in the evening.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

There has been mention of "crosstalk" at the cabinet causing speed drops at peak times which I suppose is possible but I would not expect it to drop as much as you have experienced. All I can suggest is as I have said, monitor it for a couple of days and see what happens.

You could try ONE power cycle of the Homehub but don't be tempted to switch the Homehub off and on repeatedly. It could cause you more problems as DLM (Dynamic Line Management) may interpret as an unstable line and lower your speeds.

0 Ratings
AlecTR
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I already tried reconnecting my hub etc. No difference unfortunately.

Anyways, here is tonight's speed results. I will continue posting results for the next few days around this time as well.

Thanks.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 6.56 Mbps

0 Mbps77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.56 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 10.58 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.58Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Your IP Profile is very good so that would indicate no issues with your line or DLM. Just do as you have said and monitor it.

I take it you have nothing else running such as recording TV or downloading films or doing online back ups, not that you should notice such a dip as that.

0 Ratings
AlecTR
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Nah, i have tried testing when i have connected only to a new pc and same download speed is exactly same.

Also, my problem is exactly the same as this person: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/poor-evening-speed/td-p/1122436
0 Ratings
AlecTR
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Test Results today at 16:06. (Day speed)

I will post another speed result later in the evening.

Download Speed
 69.75 Mbps

0 Mbps77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 69.75 Mbps
 Additional Information:

Upload Speed
 11.42 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.42Mbps
 Additional Information:

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 17

Is that wired or wireless?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
AlecTR
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

When i did all these tests, I used cable connection even changed cables and tested on a different pc while no other devices are connected to the Router and yet no changes in the download speed at all.

Also, tonight's evening as expected from my past night's expierence. it is absolutely terrible. When i ordered BT Infinity, BT garetneed me I will not expect what i had before with bb problems (speed dropping), Infinity will give me constant speed. At BT, Does constant means 70mb to 7mb? Seems very sensible logic there.

Please do not tell me that my speed is within's is acceptable speed range, as to some guy told me when i had a 16mb/s download speed bb and 5 mb/s was acceptable.

Here is my Helpdesk info if it will help:

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 08/01/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:1 days, 00:52:28
6. Data rate:20000 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate:31373 / 113270
8. Noise margin:12.8 / 15.6
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 15.8
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 15.8
11. Data sent/received:852.1 MB / 2.6 GB

TEST RESULTS AT 20:05

Download Speed
 7.25 Mbps

0 Mbps77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.25 Mbps
 Additional Information:

Upload Speed
 9.96 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.96Mbps
 Additional Information:

0 Ratings