cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Belease
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity doesn't work

I got this installed on Tuesday. Since then, nothing but problems. Slow speeds, Internet dropping, barely usable. I've spoken to customer service MANY times, each time gone through the same dance of unplug this, reset that, but nothing works. How can I get someone to come and look at this?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
ryant704
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity doesn't work

You can contact the moderators here, they will take personal ownership over your case until resolved.

They normally respond within 3 working days.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Your installation will need a little time to settle in... 

However if your going to contact BT it might help if you can let them know the speed you are actually achieving.

Also perhaps keeping a log of the disconnections will show up a pattern.

A good reference of your speed could be obtained by connecting your computer/laptop  direct to your HH3.

This direct "wired connection" will eliminate any wireless interference or wireless "g" issues.

(Your laptop etc. need wireless "n" to obtain speeds over 25Mbps).

So it's best to test in a wired situation.

Once connected/wired I'd run the BT speed test 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,3014

The test takes a bit longer than the website says it will... well at least it does for me, I expect it may be due to how busy the server is. Typically for me it takes 5 mins or more to get a result.

And below is a picture of the result showing the speed into your home and then the speed from your HH3 to your computer/laptop.

I hope having this info will help you in your discussions with BT.

Or you may want to post your results/findings back in this thread in case any of us have some ideas.

Good luck 

PC

45Mbps 15 Mar 2013 Wireless.jpg

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
SHOLTIE
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Whenever I run the BT speedtest I always get 0Mb between the Exchange and the hub but the comment still says GOOD

I have just run the test again my Download is 74Mb while upload is only 3.8Mb (this is low as I usually get around 14Mb) 

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

The speedtester isnt reliable. My connection is 16mbps upload but the tester is showing 2mbps. You need to use a tester which is known to be accurate.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Yes that's a good input... I'd try a number of Speedtesters.

For me Speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/

Looks pretty accurate. I've dropped 3mbps from the BT one shown in my earlier post as this test was over a wireless connection.

Another tester you could try try is the BT wholesale one.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Once you have the results click on the "Further Diagnostics"

Enter your Telephone Number into the FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) box.

Click on "Run Diagnostic"

You'll then get speed results for download and upload.

And you can make a note of your download and Upload IP Profile. Which could be useful in your discussions with BT.

My download IP for example = " IP Profile for your line is - 46.69 Mbps "

The IP Profile isi the setting the exchange has set you on and is the max speed you could achieve with that setting.

This may change during the 10 day training period.... Note the White Modem shouldn't be turned off as that would give the exchange a false error indication and could mean a lowering of your IP setting. 

PC

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 7 of 8

The Milton Keynes server by Uno/Xilo is really good, shows me my true download and upload speeds.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 8 of 8

@ryant704 wrote:

The Milton Keynes server by Uno/Xilo is really good, shows me my true download and upload speeds.

Different servers, get different results for people. I could say the same for some of the London servers, they are close to me so I would get good speeds and ping from there. Might be totally different for someone else.

I just click the recommend server, because at that point in time it's normally the one that gives me the most accurate speeds and ping rates.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings