cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathan09
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Infinity enabled for neighboring streets but not mine!

I recently received a letter letting me know that my local cabinet has been upgraded to fibre and I would be able to receive BT Infinity. As you can see below, Openreach confirms that it is now fibre enabled.

Fibre.jpg

However, I've tried multiple times to upgrade to BT Infinity but BT keep telling me that it is not available, only their regular broadband is.

I decided to do some digging and started searching other addresses close to mine to see if they can receive BT Infinity and found that the street next to mine can but I cannot!

Neighboring StreetNeighboring StreetMy StreetMy Street

And as you can see by the GoogleMaps shot below, these streets are directly next to eachother! 

Fibre Maps.jpg

Should this be happening? I am going to contact BT today to see what they say but I believe excluding a single street from having fibre is completely ridiculous! 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Infinity enabled for neighboring streets but not mine!

Is the street that can get it, connected to the same cabinet as yours?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Nathan09
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I've just had a quick check and yes, it looks like I'm connected to the same cabinet.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Then it would appear that due to the routing of the cables from the cabinet, your line is too long to support VDSL2 (the technology used to provide broadband from the fibre cabinets).
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

looks like you can get faster broadband which is the same as infinity  but for customers where conenction speed is 15mb or less.

if you are existing bt customer then try options team on 0800800030 and see if you can upgrade tp faster broadband - assuming that is better then your current adsl connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Apologies, I thought that was an adsl speed estimation.

0 Ratings
Nathan09
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

But why can't I get the same as my neighboring streets? There is a street just up past the M62 which can get up to 40mps and they are further away from the exchange?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

fibre services come from the street cabinet not the exchange and what speed you get is dependent on your line length from the cabinet to your home phone lines do not run in the most direct route
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Your line is longer than theirs from the cabinet and the longer the line, th more the speed degrades. It's simple physics.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

as you can see from graph how vdsl drops speed far faster than adsl of distance  

FTTC speed graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings