Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lamb1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity engineer no show!!!

Hi,

Yesterday I sat from 8 o'clock in the morning for an infinity engineer to arrive at the house. I was told between 8am and 1pm. At 2pm when no one had arrived and I had not received a call advising me of any issues, I decided to contact BT myself and was told the engineer was uncontactable but the job was still posted as going to happen that day. I took this on face value and waited a further 2hrs, still no engineer and still no call to tell me that he was not coming. I call back again to be told for a second time that the engineer was uncontactable but the job was still up to be done that day. By this time it was 4:45, I asked what time do the engineers work till? to be told 6 o'clock! I asked how is it going to be possible to complete the job that day then?. There was no answer to this as obviously it was not going to happen and come 6 no engineer had arrived. I called back once more and was then informed that someone would contact me to rearrange a date to fit the system. But nothing was said about the 12 hours I had waited 7 days before Christmas for a none contactable engineer! Surely if the engineer was not contactable the appointment should of been cancelled with me being contacted early allowing me to try and achieve something with the day I had left!! I am very dissapointed with this situation I can not stress that enough!!!   

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Infinity engineer no show!!!

SSDD I'm afraid - see numerous other threads/posts about exactly the same issue.     I don't buy the "uncontactable" bit though, unless he'd turned off his mobile and gone to the pub.....

0 Ratings
lamb1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I didnt buy it either was how should it be put "convenient". Just such a waste of time at an important time. I have already waited over a month for the installation appointment, I would of been happy to wait till the new year if I had of been contacted and it ment the appointment would of been kept.

0 Ratings
CB57
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Same thing but worse for me. My Broadband has been off since Tuesday 4 Dec.

My 1st appointment was for Friday 14 Dec 2012- 1pm to 6pm slot.

Of course no engineer turned up and no one contacted me.

After many phone calls, the overseas call centre got me a slot for Monday 17 Dec -8am to 1pm slot

Again no one turned up. Again no one contacted me.

So back again to BT help line.

The overseas centre said they have contacted the UK people and assured me the Engineer will turn up later.

Around 5pm, the overseas centre phoned me and informed me that due to Lack of resources there will be

no engineer coming. He promised me that someone from the UK will phone me within 24 hours.

Today around 10am, Openreach (who I know is part of BT) phoned just to tell me that the earliest slot they can offer me is 31st Dec.

They also deny amy knowledge of an appointment for Monday.

I told them I have received 2 texts confirming the 14 Dec appointment plus another text confirming the 17 Dec appointment. They still argued they cannot see an appointment for 17 Dec and without any apologies offered me a sllot for 31 Dec - Take it or leave it.

They keep saying thay are Openreach and imply that whatever BT has been telling is not their responsibility.

In the meantime I am looking for alternative providers. I have relatives who use Virgin Media nd they seemed happy.

The problem I think is that big companies are just happy to get new customers and lomg standing customers  are taken for granted.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

I think the "uncontactable" is because the engineers work for Openreach, not BT Retail.  All retail know is that an engineer has been assigned - they will have no idea how to contact them.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@Ectophile wrote:

I think the "uncontactable" is because the engineers work for Openreach, not BT Retail.  All retail know is that an engineer has been assigned - they will have no idea how to contact them.

They all have to communicate via an Openreach Service Centre, the same as all other service providers, direct contact is not allowed.

Updates have be be transferred from one system to another, and this process can fail.

If a job fails, then it can take some time for it to show. Ideally the Openreach Field Technician should contact the end user, and say they cannot make the appointment.

The problem is, that they can run out of time, if they get a complex job, by then its too late to re-allocate the job.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

I think its a crock, of course the engineers are contactable. The engineer I had visit me a while back was able to ring me as requested for the code to get past our security gates. Engineers are issued with special mobile phones, they can even contact people without a phone.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

Engineers can ring you, because they have been given your contact details as part of the ordering process.  But BT Retail have no details to ring the engineer, nor any details to pass on to you.  Only Openreach would know that, and the communication between retail and Openreach is minimal.

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Ah yes, but if you are clever enough you can request that they ring you first, that way the engineer will, if s/he has any cop on at all, ring you if they can't make the appointed time. 😉

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

The Field Technicians are supposed to follow a process called RARA (Ring Ahead, and Ring After).

This is to keep the customer informed (KCI)

Time is usually short however.

0 Ratings