cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camellard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity finally coming to me but will the speed be so slow?

Hi

I last posted a couple of years ago when the whole of my exchange area, save a couple of cabs, were upgraded. Unfortunatly despite being in a new build area one of the cabs not upgraded was me.

Good news s in the next 3 months FTTC should be available.

Two questions

1) The new green box is there - although there is still a whole in the ground next to it. Im not sure if cable or electricity have been installed yet. Generally how long does the install take once the box apperas?

2)

Exchange INGLEBY BARWICK is served by Cabinet 37

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTCUp to 16.2Up to 2.3--30-Jun-13
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 2.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
 Although I live about 300m by road, 200m as the crow flies I'm quoted potential speeds of only 16.2mbps. Much better than my current 1.5-2.5. But why so slow?
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
ryant704
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity finally coming to me but will the speed be so slow?

It could be tomorrow or a year, it depends what stage it is at. The main reason for the delays are normally blocked ducts when blowing fibre. They then have to wait for the duct to be cleared then go back and proceed, if they hit another blocked area they have to wait again.

Though there are various other things which can cause a delay on the activation of your cabinet, just keep checking regularly. 

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
camellard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks that explains a couple of things.
What about the second question. Whilst on next door I would have expected speed twice what they predict
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 4 of 12

How are you fed overhead or underground?

It's possible your line takes a different route to the cabinet... the route will not be straight to the cabinet either.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

I am approx 200 feet from my fibre cabinet .

On Infinity option 1 I received approx 37Mbps down.

Now I am on option 2 and get between 42Mbps to 45Mbps on a good day.

Although I am so close to the cabinet it is as mentioned before, no gaurantee the copper (hopefully not aluminium) lines to your house goes direct.

Mine obviously takes the scenic route... and I was aware that I wouldn't get the full speed as I only used to get 1.5Mbps on Adsl.

Which was exceedingly frustrating being in sight of both the old a new cabs.

A crumb of comfort but no guarantee.... The Infinity checker initially gave a speed of 14Mbps then a fter a month it went up to 25Mbps... so in my case quite conservative estimates.

But anything was going to be better than 1.5Mbps. My Before and After speed results in THIS POST.

My Progress to Infinity.- 

Dec 2010 BT Openreach working on installing Fibre in my town.

April 2011 My cabinet installed.

1 July 2011 My cabinet went live.

15th July 2011 My Infinity went live.

Dec 2010 I spoke to the Openreach engineers installing the cables in in my towns high street.... they said everything was going according to plan.

April 2011 Fibre Cabinet installed next to my smaller PCP cabinet.

May 2011 various visits from Openreach wiring up and powering up.

Using my telephone number the BT wholesale and Infinity website checkers initially showed.-

Infinity coming March 2011.

This changed shortly after Christmas 2010 to July 1 2011.

Then in early June it changed to June 30th 2011.

Another change in mid June to June 22nd 2011. 

As this date drew near it suddenly changed to Sept 30th. 2011 :smileymad:

Then on 1st July the Checkers showed it was available.

On the 4th July BT phoned me.... Only offered me the Infinity package with Unlimited and Anytime calls.

This was also the only package available to me if I ordered thru the BT Infinity checker website. 

On the 7th July I phoned sales and ordered the Infinity option 1 with 40GB cap and Weekend calls.

And added an uplift for Anytime UK landline calls.

15th July 2011 Infinity installed.  :smileyhappy:

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
camellard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

The connection from the CAB is underground.

All the workman have closed the hole and basically it looks like a job done. So I suppose it is a case of waiting for the call and checking the dsl checker?

I can just hope for a decent bandwidth.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

you will get a speed close to information on the wholesale checker
0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

'All the workman have closed the hole and basically it looks like a job done. So I suppose it is a case of waiting for the call and checking the dsl checker?'

Not quite all done, getting power to the RDSLAM is just the start. They will need to now pull through and joint the tie cables to the copper PCP.

They then have to spend so much time running these light tests things on the fibre. Then even when they do take orders they only accept so many at once so they can monitor the Capacity on the RDSLAM to make sure there are no problems with it.

0 Ratings
camellard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Just an update.

I spoke the BT openreach engineer just over a week ago and he said it was ready to go as regards the CAB although exchange work need to be undertaken and he was uncertain about what priority it had. Although since this is an infill CAB with most of the rest of the Ingelby Barwick area already on FTTC this shouldn't take long.

A question how long should I expect. One reply indicated 2-3months. Any other thoughs?

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 10 of 12

Normally a week after everything has been done and tested, providing everything passed.

0 Ratings