cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity installation is there a need to install software?

Go to solution

Hi there.

Can anybody tell me exactly what the engineer will be installing when he comes to my house next week?

I was told by the sales person that they will need to install software on my pc to get infinity working. This makes no sense to me as everything in my house is wireless.

There should be no need for software to enable my broadband, if it does then have we gone back in time? Why dont we all just connect our pc's by serial cable to make it really old fashioned.

Im not going to require the Mcaffee av as I have my own AV solution. Also a majority of my machines are work laptops, as Im an administrator I can install software but theres no freaking way Ill allow an Openreach engineer anywhere near my machines.

If they need to just install software to test the connection, then why cant they use their own laptops?

Sorry for the rant, but I go to peoples houses who have BT broadband and they all have unnecessary software on there

installed by engineers to allow the broadband to work.

There is no need. Whats next BT will be saying to iphone and android users that they must install their BT FON software to allow their phones to work in their own house.

Thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Infinity installation is there a need to install software?

Go to solution

Hi there,

The software the engineer will install is basically NetProtect plus and fault reporting/fixing software, which in the event of infinity not working will run through diagnostics and common fixes. I would assume in the future the plan is to allow BT faults to remotely control your computer during calls to tech support, so they can help fix problems for novice users, but this part of the software isn't yet active. If you don't want it installed then that's fine, it's not compulsory, you just need to let the engineer know when he shows up. I do believe though that it can run diagnostics on the VDSL modem the openreach guy will install, so you might find the fault reporting part quite useful. It's really designed for people who don't have such a good understanding of computers/the internet, while most of us here on the forum would I imagine find the a waste of space, for some people it's useful to know that if something goes wrong there's an icon to click which will guide them through trying to fix it before they need to call tech support.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

LOL when we had infinity the engineer just installed the modem/router & conencted 1 pc via wirless using windows wireless manager, Like I would of done.

Didnt install the cd as for one he said it was rubbish (and for us we didnt need it) and 2 we diddnt want it on the pc's either.

You dont need it at all  it works like any BB connection router 😛

Just connect to it and it works

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks guys. Thats what it would be and hoped. BT were insisting that it would need to be installed. But there's no flippin way Im going to allow them access to my machines. The customer care is awful anyway. I had an issue a few weeks ago where my internet had switched off, even my Vision box was off and the customer care team were blaming my wireless. Total tools lol
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
What Ill do is set up a VM and allow them to access that for any vdsl troubleshooting. I wont tell them its a VM, I dont want to confuse their little heads. Lol 🙂
0 Ratings