Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity, is it actually worth it?

Go to solution

Hi guys, new here so be gentle Smiley Very Happy

I recently found out that the exchange i is on will get this infinity thing-me-bob at the end of this month ( yes, i know it can change more than a hookers pants) but would like to know if there`s anyway i could find out!

1: The sort of speed i`d be looking at and

2: Is it acually worth it to change over.

DownStream Connection Speed 3296 kbps  is what i`m at now,

Thanks in advance guys

Shaun

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity, is it actually worth it?

Go to solution
Put your telephone number into the BT Wholesale availability checker and you'll get an estimate of your speed IF your cabinet is going to be enabled.

It's 100% worth it. I get the full 40meg, so that's more than 10 times quicker than what your current speeds are.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
If you got 20Mbit and only 2 people used it then it probably isn't worth it. If like you your connection is slow to start with then it's something you will never regret doing, it's fantastic, we can now have all 4 people hammering it with netflix, ps3 etc. and it just keeps on flying
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

When I used the checker it told me I would get 27meg, well I get around 37 on the tester.

Whether you need it or not is another thing, I needed it as I live out in the sticks and all we had was 1meg connection, incidently while the engineer was here the other day I asked him how many connections were on my cab now as its just over a year since it went live, he told me they installed 100 lines in it at the time and they are almost full.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Another question too,,

I`m finding conflicting answer`s no matter were I look ( even on here)  ,

They use fibre, so!!!  Some place`s I been reading say you still use the "copper" phone cable that is coming from the pole outside. Other forum`s/Post`s/ Q &A`s say it runs all the way to the modem in fibre.  To me that bit means they change the cable from the pole to house wall..    

I gota wait till  sometime this month maybe next, when the exchange is all setup but I want to get all the details in first before I get on that phone to talk to someone that`ll try and flog me world and it`s moon lol,,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Infinity comes in two flavours either FTTC - fibre to the cabinet and then using your exisisting copper telephone wire and FTTP - fibre to the premises. Nobody has been offered a choice between these you get one or the other determined by what is in your area.

FTTC currently has a maximum speed of 40Mb/s shortly to rise to 80Mb/s but the speed you actually get depends on the length and condition of your phone line to the cabinet that feeds your line. Most users get close to the maximum speed. Long term FTTC can offer speeds above 100Mb/s but unlikely to go above 200Mb/s.

FTTP currently offers 100Mb/s with plans to go to 300Mb/s soon. You will get pretty much that speed irrespective of where you are. With FTTP they do change the "cable" although for the present you keep the copper connection for voice. Long term FTTP could offer speeds up to 1000 Mb/s.

FFTC is far more widespread than FTTP as it is cheaper to install.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for that, thats cleared up a lot of things,,
0 Ratings