Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Confused555
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

BT Infinity -is it worth it?

Hi guys,

Wondering if you can help. Currently with Virgin and looking to move. I was thinking about bt infinity 2 but seem to have read countless bad reviews of service etc.

Can anyone give me a real life perspective? Is it as bad as the reviews or does it work for the majority?

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Infinity -is it worth it?

Personally i have had infinity nearly 3 years now no disconnections speed drops 75mb+ 19 up 24/7 i would fully recommend it
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Have you checked if fibre is available as not all street cabinets have been upgraded for fibre

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bmcl26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Only had it two weeks but has been faultless in that time, yes the HH5 did restart several times in the first 3 days (the Information & Troubleshooting Guide explains that tis will happen) On the plus side the speed sometimes increased after these re-boots.  I also read somewhere either on this or another forum that the patch lead supplied was **bleep** and invested in a copper twisted pair RJ11 patch lead for around £5 and imediately saw a reduction in SNR and a consequential increase in speeds.

I was advised on ordering that I could expect speed of Download upt to 74mbs and upload upt to 18mbs and I am easily hitting this most of the time.

Yes a lot of people on here have had bad experience with BT but remember that this Forum is for problems so natuarally most of the posts are about problems.

I can only speak for myself, maybe I have been lucky but I have had e-mail from BT since the days of Telecom Gold (early 1980's) which worked on DOS (pre Windows) at the lightning speed of 300kbs (dial up) not that was slow!!!!

0 Ratings
Confused555
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Hi thanks for quick replies. I can definitely get fibre as it says it's available. The only thing as I say that's putting me off of taking the leap is the poor reviews of service.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

forum posts and similar always tend to promote problems rather than the thousands of good installs also remember the fibre infrastructure is operated and maintained by Openreach for all ISP's except of course virgin BT are just a reseller like everyone else
0 Ratings
cmkenny
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

No.

• Customer service is awful - impossible to find someone to speak to when you have a problem, calls not returned etc.
  • First time I had tried to have it installed the engineer just didn't turn up, resulting in me wasting a day of a/l.
  • Hardware is rubbish - HomeHub is useless and unreliable.
  • Connection speeds are flakey.

I used to be with Virgin and found them to be much better in all departments. I rue the day I moved to BT, they've always been a rubbish company and unless they do something drastically different in the future always will be.

http://www.cbronline.com/news/tech/networks/telecoms/bt-to-recruit-1600-engineers-to-improve-service...

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

And the above post reinforces what John46 has been saying about people only coming onto forums who have a problem. 

While that poster has obviously had a bad experience the vast majority don't. It should also be noted that the poster was offered help from the moderators of the forum, who would have been able to resolve his problems, but he has failed to respond and carry out their request for information.

There is no doubt that the Customer Service call centre could be greatly improved but the actual product is generally very good.

Make sure you carry out an estimate to see what you can expect to get speed wise and be aware that your speeds could be some where between the lowest Range B and highest Range A speed.

Link to estimator

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
Stu28
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

We had infinity 2 in our previous house and thought it was great, never had an issue with it. However, since we moved home, we are still waiting on our service to be installed, even though they had the order for 2.5 weeks.

Numerous phonecalls later, numerous lies from BT, nobody returning calls, NOTHING!!

Customer service is pathetic to non existent.

Dode
Expert
Message 10 of 22

It's also worth asking yourself if you need Infinity 2. I think some go for Infinity 2, pay the extra and never quite reach the speeds expected. I'm using Infinity 1 and it's way fast enough for me. It's just a thought!

0 Ratings