cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BazDurrent
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity - misleading advertising.

BT claim that Infinity is a fibre optic connection how can this be if there are no fibre optic cables in our road? To my knowledge the connection from my house to the local exchange will be the existing copper cable so where does the fibre optic connection come in?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
staking
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity - misleading advertising.

there is its called FTTC, fibre to the cabinet, from your house it is cooper to your local bt green box (not the exchange)
then from the bt green box to the exchange is fibre.
0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Maybe because if theres is no fibre your not on infinity yet? And your on ADSL 😉

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Only a very few people have fibre to their home. The main Virgin and BT services both have fibre to the cabinet and copper cables from there, only difference is Virgin use coax.

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Infinity is similar to the VM product with the final length from Cab to home being in copper. There are trials underway with FTTP when the fiber terminates inside the customers home with speeds upto 100mb. No confirmation on product name but seems likely to be Infinity too.
0 Ratings
drizzy
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Presumably as the ASA refused to do anything about HFC services being marketed as 'fibre' in the UK, they decided they might as well get on the lying-about-fibre bandwagon. How they will properly distinguishi between fibre to the home and VDSL2 in the future remains to be seen. 😞 BT Infinity - powered by laserbeams.

Posted from my ADS... I mean, FTTE connection 😕
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Infinitechris wrote:

Only a very few people have fibre to their home. The main Virgin and BT services both have fibre to the cabinet and copper cables from there, only difference is Virgin use coax.

Almost rightSmiley Very Happy Different systems though in theory. Coax will be more resistant to a REIN problem but not immune.

The DOCSIS3 standard is more configurably up to speeds of 400Mbps providing the supplier (in this case VM) is willing to invest in upgrading the system with node splits, load balancing etc. It is easier for VM to do this. It does not mean that they will.

BT have and contiue to be hogtied by government legislation even though they were in the forefront of fibreoptic development in exactly they way with Mobile phones.

0 Ratings