cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spank2k
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity new install not working

I got BT Infinity option 2 installed this morning, worked fine when the engineer left but is now no longer working. The infinity modem just keeps flashing the power light. The manual says this means the modem's restarting but it's clearly not since it's been doing it for over an hour now. After half an hour on hold to technical support I finally got through to a useless indian call centre where I was fobbed off because my install is not complete - although obviously it is because the engineer was already here and it was already working.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Spank2k
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity new install not working

Several hours later and no change. BT tech support refuse to help and don't seem to understand English enough to understand what the problem is. First day with BT and already starting to regret it!
0 Ratings
Croftie
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

It's faulty, mine did that while the engineer was here, he said it was faulty and got another one out the van.

There is a number around here somewhere for infinity support, if you ring in the day you get through to the UK. I think this is it but can't be certain 08001114567

0 Ratings
Spank2k
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

😞 I did try telling the Indian guy on the phone earlier that I thought the modem was broken. He eventually said he'd send me a new home hub. I kept saying it wasn't the home hub, it was the modem and he said that yes that's what he's sending me. I've since got an email suggesting BT equipment's due to be delivered tomorrow but there's no tracking number or anything.

The engineer this morning wasn't here for longer than 5 minutes either and was in a hurry to leave - it started acting up about five minutes after he left.

I wish I could speak to someone in England who actually understands what BT Infinity is and has experience with these modems. Why do BT make it so hard to use their services??

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 5 of 12

@Spank2k wrote:
I got BT Infinity option 2 installed this morning, worked fine when the engineer left but is now no longer working. The infinity modem just keeps flashing the power light. The manual says this means the modem's restarting but it's clearly not since it's been doing it for over an hour now. After half an hour on hold to technical support I finally got through to a useless indian call centre where I was fobbed off because my install is not complete - although obviously it is because the engineer was already here and it was already working.

Hi there,

I would advise you to drop an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your Account number, landline number and a link back to this thread and one of the Mods (they're also BT Customer Care agents) will look into your issue and hopefully expedite a resolution for you.

I hope this helps. 🙂

0 Ratings
Spank2k
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks, I've emailed them so will have to see what happens. Fingers crossed!!
0 Ratings
champ1970
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

The modem is supplied by Openreach and not BT.... I think you'll find they have sent you another hub... The only way to get the modem changed is for BT to make an appointment for an Openreach engineer to call, he can check set up and replace modem if faulty.... You could try turning both modem and hub off for 5 minutes... Then first power up modem, if you don't get 2 solid green lights then you will have to raise a fault...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Hi

Call again and ask to be put to the Infinity escalations team, advise them no power going to the modem, no lights on it, they will book an appointment.

0 Ratings
Spank2k
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I just got off the phone with BT again - this time I got through straight away to a guy that was part of the Infinity escalations team and knew exactly what he was talking about. I should now be receiving a call within the next 48 hours (?!) to get an engineer out to me with a new modem.

I hope they call soon though, it's not like the engineer needs to be here long - if an engineer can install Infinity in 5 minutes then surely they'd just need an engineer working in the area to drop off a modem. It's not like I live in the sticks, this is central(ish) London!! I'm half tempted to flag down the next BT van I see!
0 Ratings
Spank2k
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Slight update: After turning my modem off for the umpteenth time and leaving it for a few hours, it finally started up and is working. Clearly there's still a problem with the modem though since it should have just worked since installation rather than getting stuck on the starting up phase. Hopefully a BT engineer can give me a more reliable one when they come.

0 Ratings