Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sparky2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT Infinity or TalkTalk Fibre Upgrade?

Hi, I'm currently with TalkTalk but my download speed is under 2Mbps and upload under 0.5Mbps due to attenuation of 60dB as I live over 4km from the exchange.  I can now upgrade for £25 + £10/month to fibre upto 40Mbps down/2Mbps up on TalkTalk I think at anytime (to be confirmed if I need to wait until end of contract or not) or I can wait and leave to BT or get BT Infinity on a new line for free at just over £40/month for unlimited upto 40Mbps/10Mbps.  Speed check gives me 24.6Mbps at my post code on BT/TT, 2Mbps upload on TT, 7Mbps upload on BT.

My question is as I do use aMule and torrents to transfer large files (Amiga, C64 collections, Fedora linux distribution, freeware etc.) as well as filesonic and rapidshare would moving to BT block me doing this?  A member on TT forums suggested BT was a no-no due to the heavy throttling employed and more congestion.

"TT normally has mutch less congestion on its backhaul network when compared to BT as it is only supporting TT customers and not other isps as well bt throttle torrents fairly heavily during peek times all week
TT`s throttling tends to vary from exchange to exchange but is reduced during the off peek times."

At the moment my torrents are downloading at 150kB/s and uploading 12kB/s (max speeds I set) but aMule hasn't been working properly for sometime, mostly at 0kB/s down / 12kB/s up.  I could live with the 150kB/s download (say 1200-1800kbps through the modem-router) still during peak times with BT but I've heard it is worse than this, closer to 0kbps then full speed after 12:30am.  Of course I can stay up until then and make sure my computer hasn't crashed so can download all night and check it 6am when I get up for work but I'd like at least a bit of speed the rest of the time.  Also are other traffic affected such as Youtube, iPlayer, Facebook, filesonic, rapidshare etc. during peak times?  The only problem I've got with TT is my downloads freeze and have to restart and videos keep rebuffering and unwatchable in anything higher than 320x240 resolution so no HD but that's the fault of my poor line I think.  The freezing problems occur on all my devices so it's not just a single computer, smart phone, games console or player.  I have tried several routers all with the same problem and only the Comtrend CT-5372 ADSL2+/VDSL2 router I use now is maintaining a connection 24/7 most of the time.

I have however heard many negatives about TalkTalk and that all ISPs throttle just the same.  So do BT throttle all the time or not and is it all weekend or just 3pm or 6pm to 12am Mon-Sun and is it a straight hard on/off 3MB/s down to 0kBs?

Also BT used to have a limit of 300GB transfer on Infinity, am I right this has been lifted or will I get a letter if I constantly download without counting how much I've transferred?  I expect I may use at least 300GB watching HD videos and downloading stuff as I don't do much else lol.  Would I be better off with the business package just in case?

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/internet-access/fibre-broadband/

It also states:

"No more slowing down in the afternoon, just when you need to work fastest. Our business prioritised service gives you a dedicated broadband fast lane with a guaranteed speed of 16Mb for business traffic at busiest times."

So does that mean no torrent throttling or is it just the same as the residential BT Infinity at a higher price?  Also what is the contention ration for business, is it 1:1 or 25:1 or so compared to 50:1 for residential?

Thanks if anyone can answer my questions and help me decide which provider to go with this year.

Happy new year to all!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Infinity or TalkTalk Fibre Upgrade?

it is 25:1 ration but remember with fttc there can be un avoidable congestion from the cab to the exchange on very busy cabs but that rearly happens

also unless you go over your limit throttling is only applied on p2p packets same as TT

the limit of 300gb is still in force AFIK at least according to this post

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-Fair-Usage-Policy-Throttling/td-p/93273/page/2

also remember that bt also add uploads to your limit so you can use 300gb by uploading 250gb and downloadin 60gb

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 19

@jcampy wrote:

it is 25:1 ration but remember with fttc there can be un avoidable congestion from the cab to the exchange on very busy cabs but that rearly happens

also unless you go over your limit throttling is only applied on p2p packets same as TT

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-Fair-Usage-Policy-Throttling/td-p/93273/page/2

also remember that bt also add uploads to your limit so you can use 300gb by uploading 250gb and downloadin 60gb

Hi.

On Infinty option 2 there is no limit, the 300Gb limit was done away with months ago. it is UNLIMITED with only p2p torrents being throttled during peak hours and all weekend.

the link to the post mentioned is now over a year old.

here is BT's latest usage policy:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/broadband-usage-policy

toekneem

(EASBF)

sparky2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Thanks very much for your reply, I think I'll stay with TalkTalk as I don't fancy trying to track my upload/download usage on multiple devices and TT have said there is no usage limit with them but like BT throttle torrents at certain times of day with packet inspection making sure it's noting illegal which is fine as every ISP does unless you get a leased line but I'm no millionaire with £1000/month to spare.

0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 19

@toekneem wrote:

@jcampy wrote:

Hi.

On Infinty option 2 there is no limit, the 300Gb limit was done away with months ago. it is UNLIMITED with only p2p torrents being throttled during peak hours and all weekend.

the link to the post mentioned is now over a year old.

here is BT's latest usage policy:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/broadband-usage-policy

ah its a shame stuff like that isnt someware easy to find ah

0 Ratings
sparky2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Oh, so BT Infinity options 2 & 3 are unlimited?  But is this 300GB unlimited or 1000GB unlimtied?  I might just still stay on TT as could be costly if I find out and use 500GB and get charged £1/GB for the 200GB like happens on some mobile phone contracts.  It would have been nice though to have access to BT's WiFi usage for my mobile, Vodafone refuse to give me more than 500MB/month and I have to pay for the rest upto 1GB making it costly.  They gave me 1GB on my last contract, won't be staying with them after 24 months is up but it's a long time.  They said just use my 2GB WiFi allowance and login with my Vodafone username and password on BT Openzone hotspots but when I tried this I couldn't log on, just kept refusion access so I guess they meant if I had BT broadband already I could log on that way.

Is option 3 the 100Mbit connection, is this fibre to the premisses?  Doubt that's available yet though everywhere.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

Unlimited according to the Oxford Dictionary:

Unrestricted, Enormous

But p2p is throttled during peak hours and at weekends

if you read the link in the above post it will tell you.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
sparky2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I did read the link but I couldn't see where it defined unlimited.  A lot of companies define a limit for unlimited as they don't appear to understand the Oxford dictionary term of unlimited as having no limit to usage but applying say a 300GB limit, 3000 texts unlimited, 500MB unlimited etc.  I also read the part about If you exceed your usage allowance, you'll be charged for additional usage in units of five gigabytes (GB), at £5 per 5GB.

Anyway, my torrents are going at 150kbps on my 2Mbps line and have been all weekend so if TT fibre still gives me that at least for torrents and room for everything else on fibre I'll stay with them.  No point going to BT 40/10 Mbps broadband if can only use it on certain protocols.  My only concern I guess is if the throttling on TT is controlled by BT after switching to fibre?  If it's the same as BT then I may as well just move to BT and get the 40/10 Mbps with free BT WiFi access instead of TT's 40/2 Mbps and no access to WiFi hotspots.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Unlimited is exactly that. On Infinity option 2 you won't suffer any speed restrictions or additional charges for the amount of data you download.

P2P as mentioned above is throttled at peak times but the vast majority of ISP's do this. There are other ways to download to avoid these throttles though 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

option 2 and 3 are totally unlimited since April 2011 only p2p protocols are rate capped at peak times things like you tube iplayer etc unrestricted at any time
0 Ratings