cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scamartist
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Infinity ping increase

Have been playing a lot of Counter Strike recently since getting Infinity installed.

Noticed in the last week or so that my ping will not drop below 30ms, it almost seems to be capped at that level.

When I do a server search it will not find any servers below 30ms only 30ms and upwards as I've set it to not list any servers over 50ms.

Previously this had been sub 20ms.

Is there interleaving or something else that kicks in on a connection after a certain amount of time or is the ping capped?

Or are there any settings I should be looking at changing.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Mad_scientist
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Infinity ping increase

I have noticed this with my Infinity connection and I think it is the BT exchange turning interleave on or adjusting the level of interleave. There is nothing you can do to prevent this happening it is a response to errors or electrical noise. I have found that it corrects its self after a while, although the exchange may also reduce your line speed before it tries to remove/reduce the interleave.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
scamartist
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Might give them a call and see if they can remove it.

Connection had been rock solid and don't see any reason why they would need to drop either the speed or to leave the interleave setting in place.

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 4 of 6

So just to clarify you have noticed interleaving switching itself off (or at least getting a reduced ping) on occasion.

I had 34 Mbps d/load 36 Mbps profile, 24ms to bbc on day 0/1

Yesterday it had dropped to 31 Mbps, 38ms to bbc - I can understand this may be dlm kicking in, in response to line noise, but hoping if temporary (which I don't know) it will self-correct

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
spar
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

interesting

i have noticed the same thing

i used to be around 20 ms everytime i tested and at any time.

recently ping has not gone below 30 ms as well

0 Ratings
rustins
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I have found this thread because I was looking to find out why the ping on my infinity connection is so high. With a 37.5 / 8 connection surely it would have to be doing some serious inteleaving to affect the ping so much. I am quite dissappointed as there are always several people on the servers I use who have 5 or 6 ms pings and mine is no better than my previous adsl. I do admit that the throughput is far higher but to be honest a better ping is more important to me.

0 Ratings