Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT Infinity profile dropped suddenly 3 weeks ago for no obvious reason

Go to solution

I have read lots of people have had this issue with both Infinity and ADSL.

Sunday 19th Feb 2012 my IP profile dropped from 38975 to 33215.  I have read this could be due to DLM trying to stabalize my line.  My line was stable at the higher speed but now the throttle has kicked in and there seems to be no way of it returning.  I have tried rebooting it in the mornings, I have tried leaving it alone for a full week.  I have made 15 calls to India and they always follow the same script.  "We will reset your IP profile and it will be done in 24-72 hours", 3 weeks later still no budge on the line. 

I have had a BT engineer who ran a quiet line test, and found that my equiptment (Home Hub 3, BT Openreach Fibre box) is all working correctly.  I have done several further quiet line tests and Speed Tests via the BT site, and the IP profile is locked.  I am getting to a point where I have no more ideas of what I can do.   You cannot talk to the exchange technicians as it is automated.  The only contact I have is people half way around the world who says that it will be sorted, and as yet it hasn't. 

The last person I spoke to advised the exchange in Dartford Kent (LSDAR) is experiencing trouble, if this is the case please advise me if you are using the Dartford exchange with Infinity.  Also an appeal direct to BT in the UK, please can you reset it back to the original profile as my line can handle it, and was stable.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Infinity profile dropped suddenly 3 weeks ago for no obvious reason

Go to solution

Contact the mods (see below).

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
It could be that the cabinet is filling up and crosstalk is the cause of the lower sync speeds. What was your initial estimation?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
Hi, my profile went down 4 days ago, today it has returned to a better speed now i don't know if this had any effect on it but i have been constanly downloading today and all sudden my profile got better! and it all happened automaticly without me rebooting the modem at all my ping improved also hope this helps.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
Has this profile drop got anything to do with BT sorting out the uplift to 80/20Mb
iechyd da
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Similar thing happened to me - I had a solid 38/9 and it's now dropped to 33/9 with a reduced IP profile 😞
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Same here now 33meg with reduced profile

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
VDSL is rate adaptive. The reason the speeds have changed are because of a change in line conditions. Whether that's a dropping connection, higher level of noise, or because of a fault somewhere on the cabling/equipment/your home wiring.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you, I have now done that.  Another engineer is booked to check and no doubt will do exactly the same as the first one. I will keep you updatedSmiley Happy

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I was intially connected at 39999 on Jan 13th 2012, and on 19th of Feb it dropped to 33215, I have called the call centre many times and they keep on reading t he same script and say it will be fixed within 24-48 hours and we will call you back.  They do call me back and then read the same line and so on.  It never recovers despite what I read on the BT website. Thankfully it has not dropped further, but I am alarmed that BT claim they will provide the fastest my line will support and it doesn't ever recover.  I think that DLM is nothing more than a throttle and I am very frustrated of being fobbed of by BT either in India, or by the engineers who say there is nothing they can do.

0 Ratings