cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity - requirement to plug hub into master socket

Hi there,

We are shortly having BT Infinity installed, however we have just noticed the requirement to either have the hub plugged into the master socket, or use the extension cable.

Our master socket is in a strange position (up high on a wall) as we have a very old house, there is no plug socket close to it.  Also, our prefered location of the hub is in another room, accessable but a long route for the extension cable to take and ideally we don't want the cable running all of the way through the rooms.

However - we do already have CAT 5 E cable running through the house between phone sockets (we have recently had it all re-wired). 

Therefore, does anyone know if this cable is sufficient to carry infinity broadband? We could then plug the hub straight into a slave socket - removing the need for it to connect directly to the master socket or the need for the extension cable.

If anyone can help with this it would be appreciated as I have tried to call BT and the person wasn't even sure what I meant when I mentioned the master socket!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
proterra
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity - requirement to plug hub into master socket

The VDSL modem  which he will bring needs to go near the master socket along with a power socket. then that is linked to the home hub 3 by what looks like cat5 so it may do.

Smiley Wink.

If poss mount your modem on the wall as suggested in the handbook, it runs a lot cooler.

Give him Tea  & bacon sarnies and smile and he might re locate your master to the right place, mine did by running it outside the house and drilling thro the wall. I know on BT site  its supposed to be inside only , but he said "if thats what it takes to get a good connection"

0 Ratings
harmae
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

I see you posted your query quite some time ago. I would like to upgrade to BT Infinity but also have a similar problem.

Our master socket is not in an ideal position so when we redecorated we had Cat5e cable run to a slave socket positioned in a more convenient location.

Was the Cat 5e cable sufficient to carry infinity broadband and were you able to plug the hub straight into a slave socket - removing the need for it to connect directly to the master socket or the need for the extension cable?

Also both the master and slave have non-plastic type fascias to match the electrical sockets. Does anyone know if the new BT master socket is necessary or will a filter be sufficient? 

Would be great to hear back.....or if anyone else has similar experience!

Many thanks...

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

It does not need to go near the master socket. This is what people think a data extension can be fitted to provide service away from the master socket. The cat5 cable is sufficient for this purpose. 

0 Ratings