cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

BT Infinity set up - hub upstairs, masters/mains socket upstairs.

Go to solution
Okay, basically I have a desktop which is upstairs connected to the hub, however my mains socket is downstairs. Connected to the mains socket is my landline and broadband cable. Also, my broadband cable runs externally through the wall outside then back upstairs. This has caused my broadband cable to wear out and give poor internet connection as it is also very long which affects the speed even though it was working fine for a year. Now I have a problem as I don't know how else to connect my desktop and hub which is upstairs to my mains socket which is downstairs. An engineer suggested power line adapters but I don't see how this would solve the problem. Is there any other solution to this issue as I do not know how else to connect my hub to the mains socket without moving the desktop and hub downstairs.

I'd be extremely happy if I can get some help!
Thanks,

Semra.
0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT Infinity set up - hub upstairs, masters/mains socket upstairs.

Go to solution
Sorry I meant the masters socket being downstairs as I have written the opposite in the subject
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

@semraoz wrote:
Okay, basically I have a desktop which is upstairs connected to the hub, however my mains socket is downstairs.  An engineer suggested power line adapters but I don't see how this would solve the problem. Is there any other solution to this issue as I do not know how else to connect my hub to the mains socket without moving the desktop and hub downstairs.

I'd be extremely happy if I can get some help!
Thanks,

Semra.

You put the hub downstairs and connect via power line adaptors to your desktop upstairs.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution
Could you explain that to me in detail please? So would I directly connect the hub to the masters socket then connect the power line adapter to the hub using an Ethernet cable? Then what do I do with the second power line adapter?
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Put it up stairs and connect with another ethernet cable to your computer and link

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

You then plug the second power line adapter into power socket next to PCs and then connect on to power line adapter with Ethernet cable

You need to pair the powerline adapter after you connect them to the power socket then you are ready to go

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution
But how can I bring the hub downstairs if I have a desktop, doesn't that mean my computer also has to come downstairs with the hub?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution
Oh right I understand! Is this because there is also an Ethernet port for the computer which is why the power line adapter upstairs can be connected to the computer and the power line adapter downstairs can be connected to the hub. Also can you get long Ethernet cables?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution
sorry my typing errors

You connect hub to master then your connect hub downstairs to powerline adapter with Ethernet cable. Then upstairs connect powerline to pc with Ethernet cable

Sorry about before

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution
Thank you very much! Can we get power line adapters that include longer Ethernet cables?
0 Ratings