Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithsmythe
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity set up

Hi,

I have ordered BT Infinity with BT HH4.

Does anyone know if the BT infinity Modem has to be installed on the ground floor near the main socket?

Also does the HH4 need to be installed next to the  infinity modem.

The reason for this is that I currently have a HH2 which is located on the 1st floor, this is hard wired to my Nas server which is on the 2nd floor. My NAS server has to be hard wired into  my router.

Thnaks

Keith

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity set up

You can have the main socket moved, as part of the installation, which may be a better option for you. That is included in the cost.

That would place the modem and hub where you need it.

0 Ratings
keithsmythe
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks,

Do you know if the router can be located 20M from the Modem?

Thanks

Keith

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@keithsmythe wrote:

Thanks,

Do you know if the router can be located 20M from the Modem?

Thanks

Keith

I cannot see why not, its only an Ethernet connection, and it would be best to locate the modem closest to the entry point of the incoming phone line.

I think the installers carry a 30m Data Extension cable. If you read a few posts on the Infinity board, you may find out a bit more about the install process.

keithsmythe
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Many thanks for your advice.

Regards

Keith

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

You're likely to get a contractor rather than an Openreach engineer. If so be prepared for a bit of resistance to anything taking more than a few minutes  - they seem to be on piecework. Just insist.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
keithsmythe
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for your advice.

Does the Modem need to be connected to the master socket or can it be connected to an extension socket.

Thanks

Keith

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

It really needs to be connected to the first point of entry into the house to reduce the chance of interference. So an extension is not really suitable unless all other connnections before it, are blanked off.

See

Has your Infinity Installation been wired correctly?

You could of course leave the modem and the hub at the master socket, and use one of the BT approved devices to connect it to the rest of your network.

BT Connected Home Range of devices to extend broadband and boost wireless range