cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loz10000
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity - slow wireless connection

Can anyone help as I'm losing the will to live!

I have a really slow wireless speed on my laptop.  The download speed on my laptop is about 6mb (it's about 3 times higher on my ipad and iphone).  I've tried all sorts but I can't get it to improve.  The wireless signal on my laptop is also weak even though I'm only a couple of feet away from the router.  I've tried changing the channels to no avail.

To make matters worse when I've tried to use BT's desktop help I keep getting the following error:

Enter a name for your machine.

Please fix the following errors before proceeding:

• The host name, TEAMBD, already exists. Please re-enter a different host name.

Host Name...

It doesn't matter what I put in for the host name and keeps telling me that the name already exists.  Useless!!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
shaunN
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity - slow wireless connection

@loz10000 wrote:

Can anyone help as I'm losing the will to live!

I have a really slow wireless speed on my laptop.  The download speed on my laptop is about 6mb (it's about 3 times higher on my ipad and iphone).  I've tried all sorts but I can't get it to improve.  The wireless signal on my laptop is also weak even though I'm only a couple of feet away from the router.  I've tried changing the channels to no avail.

To make matters worse when I've tried to use BT's desktop help I keep getting the following error:

Enter a name for your machine.

Please fix the following errors before proceeding:

• The host name, TEAMBD, already exists. Please re-enter a different host name.

Host Name...

It doesn't matter what I put in for the host name and keeps telling me that the name already exists.  Useless!!

Hihi,

Firslty 🙂 Have you used the laptop on another wirless network, did it work?

Are you using a wifi card built into the laptop or a dongle? Is the card compatible with the type of network you are using b/g/n, b/g only etc.  Have you looked for driver updates for the wifi card? Sometimes deleting the wifi settings on the laptop and re-entering can help or turning it off and on again 🙂

Cheers,

--

Shaun

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

There are some suggestions on this page.

Wireless connection problems

Or alternatives

Network connection problems and possible solutions

0 Ratings
clumbaboy
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Hi, I have exactly the same problem running windows 7, it tells me the host name already exists, used all different combinations of names random numbers and letters, exactly the same. i was only trying to install it to help with another problem that has come up since installing net protect plus. computer working all good, had an issue with net protect switching off the firewall, uninstalled NP and reinstalled as advised by bt help!!!! and now unable to open any email attachments. getting very fed up as i have to use computer for work and away from home, getting to the stage where i may go away from bt altogether, the help they offer is atrocious.

0 Ratings