Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity slow

Hi,

I live roughly 2 miles from the exchange, before placing my order for Infinity I used the speed checker on the Infinity page and it indicated download speed of 29Mbps and was told I would achieve these speeds at point of sale. Ever since the installation back in March I have achieved a max of 18Mbps (currently 13Mbps). I have had engineers visit a number of times and two digs outside my house.

The most recent engineer visit, I was told the line needs resetting and the noise margin needs to be reduced. Neither of which has happened, when I spoke to the Indian support centre I was told that I would not be able to get 29Mbps and that the exchange only supports 13Mbps. The options given to me were either live with it or cancel.

Am I being fobbed off?

I have never experienced such poor customer service and I am not pleased at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I am at the point where I can't be bothered with BT anymore and will contact the ombudsman.

Thanks,

Ash

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Banbury Exchange

The distance to the exchange is not important with Infinity, it is the distance to the cabinet that is important.

Use this checker to get your estimated speed and post back the results.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Once you have done that somebody on the forum may be able to help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

WBC FTTC Up to 13.7 Up to 1.3

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.57 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-14.45 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 14.45 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.16Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

I am using a Cisco 887VA and that shows attainable rate as 18440.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

According to those figures you are estimated at 13.7Mbps and not 29Mbps as you were given at your point of sale, do you have a record of it?

Your IP profile is 14.45Mbps and your speed 13.57Mbps  is slightly below that which is normal.

BT would appear to have revised all of its speed estimates and no surprise most of them were revised down the way.

I think you will be hard pressed to get BT to offer you anything better than they have however perhaps a forum moderator will look into this and if they can help they will contact you via this post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 11

@gg30340 wrote:

do you have a record of it?

Your IP profile is 14.45Mbps and your speed 13.57Mbps  is slightly below that which is normal.

BT would appear to have revised all of its speed estimates and no surprise most of them were revised down the way.

Then it may help customers to record there current IP profile and save it by using the snipping tool or the PrintScreen button on keyboard, just like any legal contract always keep a copy close by incase the Provider defaults on the contract.

though they do have this which covers them "the acceptable range of speed ? x Mbps to x Mbps" thats what I call covering your back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Yes, I do have a record of it 🙂

Hopefully, moderator can help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 11

Hi NewtronStar

The Fibre infrastructure that BT Retail's fibre broadband services use are the Openreach Fibre Broadband infrastructure in the local exchange area and the BTWholesale network.

The estimations that BT Retail use (for both their ADSL and FTTC/P products) are provided by BTWholesale and Openreach, other ISPs/CPs also use the same data.

I believe the estimations were altered slightly to compensate for variables/interference such as cross talk, etc...

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 11

@jac_95 wrote:

I believe the estimations were altered slightly to compensate for variables/interference such as cross talk, etc...

Cheers

thats kind of irrelevant as interference & cross talk was taken into consideration during the FTTC trials by openreach many years ago, TBH I think they underestmated the demand for FTTC and BandPlan changes have been introduced to cure this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

Hi IS-IS

Send us an email by clicking on the contact the mods link in the section 'About Me' of my profile.

We'll investigate this further for you.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Hi Stuart,

I had submitted the form yesterday, is there anyone that I can contact to get an update?

0 Ratings