Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Infinity speed half that estimated

Hi all,

I've had BT Infinity now for approx 2 years.  At the time I placed the order, the estimater suggested a speed of 66-70Mbps.  At the time of installation I got abour 38Mbps down, about 6/7Mbps up.  I was told by the engineer that I had 7 days in which to raise this with BT if I wanted too.  Its remained about 38Mbps ever since, and I never raised it further with BT.  I use the SamKnkows  service to monitor the line and its been constant since day 1.

I'm currently paying Infinity 2 price, and its become apparent that I could drop to the Infinity 1 product, reduce my subscription rate, and not experience any reduction in download/upload speed.  I would rather have a faster speed than a smaller monthly bill.

I've been told that the BT estatimator is *very* acurate - so I'm a little confused as to why I only got aobut 50% of the estimated speed ?  Maybe the estimater was not that accurate back in April 2012 ? ;o)

Anyway - anyone had any success with getting BT to look a case like this ?  As I say - I'm 100% happy with the rock solid service I've had for the past 2 years - and I don't want to rock the boat so to speak, but the possibility of a few 10s of Mbps - entices.

I've turned off the route/hub/modem for a good 8 hours and turned it back (suggestion by a friend) but the service simply returned back to the rock stead, ever reliable 38Mbps.

My exchange is Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)

Regards

Andy

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Infinity speed half that estimated

Well what do you know - I've found another post I made on here back in 2012 lol

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Speed-Checker-accuracy/m-p/486037#M40459

Says I was getting 55Mbps down and 14 up.  

Funny how time makes you forget what you had.  

I'm even more inclined to what to get BT to look at this now.  

Suggestions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

BRAS checker reports

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 38.81 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ reports
High Low High
FTTC Range A (Clean) 55 38.1 14.5 9
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 47.5 25.9 14.5
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 14

Having put up with it for so long you may have a job convincing them there is a problem. You should really have called it in at start.

Worth a try though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

IP Profile has gone from 55 in April 2012 gradually downward month on month to about 38 in March 2014.

Speed estimator on bt.com says I'm good for between 38 and 55 - those exact two figures - and I'm bang on the bottom of that range.     Everything is "within estimates".  Unfortunately.

So I'm paying for Infinity 2 but only getting a service equivilent to Infinity 1 - seems like that I can drop product, save a few quid and wont suffer from any loss of service.

I'm out of contract and also considering "options" (rivals blah blah).  

Can a mod confirm / deny if its possible to have someone (BT/Openrearch/baby Jesus) have a look to see if we can get the IP Profile back up to what it was in 2012 ?  

If a mod can confirm this is not an option, then I'd like to drop my package to Infinity 1.  Again, can a mod contact me to arrange this (I've spoken to an agent on the phone about this - and confirmed this is possible).   

If I'm signing a new contract, can I get the new Home HUB 5 ?  I currently have the Home Hub 3 (I think) with seperate VDSL modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Can a mod please confirm if they can, or cannot investigate this for me please ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

In order to see if anything can be done to increase your speed or if it is better to "downgrade" to Infinity 1 can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 14

As you are "out of contract" you are in a strong bargaining position (don't know why you want an HH5 though considering the problems some users are having).

Get in touch with sales and see what they offer. Make sure to get any offer in writing before you agree though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 14

Hi Andy,

Your best bet is to get hold of either the HH5 or an unloacked HG612 modem in order to see your line stats. That should give you some insight into whether a faster speed is possible.

Just to confirm, you are on FTTC aren't you?

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I acknowledge that I'm "within scope" of the estimate, but I had a 55Mbps service when first installed.  Something changed between April 2012 and March 2014 - do the detriment of a loss of about 30% of the download speed.

Interestingly, my up speed is now lower than the lowest of the estimate (about 6 compared to 9-14.5).

0 Ratings