Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity speed issues

Hi all.

I was just wondering why BT give guarenteed download speeds when opting to take broadband services with them.

I was quoted a guarenteed download speed of 29mb so I thought great i'll happily sign up for that, however it is now instlled and has been for a little over 2 weeks now and i've got nothing better than 16mb download.

I called BT and advised of this and they sent a BT broadband engineer out on wednesday 3rd Feb. He done numerous tests on the line, changed the cable that runs into my property to the socket and then advised that unfortunely because I am around 1km maybe a little more away from the fibre cabinet the best he's been able to get from the line is 19mb download.

He even said this is likely to drop back to around 17mb after a few days due to the 19mb pushing the line to its very limit so DLM would drop it again.

I'm somewhat annoyed because I was with PlusNet previously and only changed to BT because the chap on the phone advised that I would 100% get at least 29mb. Now I've been hit with a first bill of £75 due to activation fees etc and I am no better off in terms of service. 

I am attaching the below photo to pre-empt the first post as It always seems to ask for this.

Thanks

bt settings.png

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity speed issues

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

the speeds BT quote are connection speed not download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

bt  wholesale telephone.pngbt wholesale address.png

Hmm now for some reason doing a check on my telephone number shows fibre isnt availabe and says I am on Cabinet 19 (which I know I am because the engineer confirmed) but intrestingly when I do an address check it says I am on cab 5 and can get pretty much maximum connection speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

as it says in the notes to the checker the phone check is the most accurate as post code/address can be covered by more than 1 cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

First of all there seems to be a records issue with your address but that doesn't reall affect anything.

If an engineer has visited, switched your copper pair and confirm the best soeed you can get then unfortunatley that's what you can get.

You have two options. You can keep the service, or BT will allow you to cancel without penalty as they're not able to provide the original guaranteed minimum speed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Seems It's just unfortunate that I am so far away from the cab.

The bloke who seems to be ringing me everyday from BT seems to think that I should be getting 29mb even though I've told him that the engineer said it's impossible. "i'll keep the fault open as it should be getting 29mb can you monitor it and get back to us" 

Indian call centre workers don't seem to be able to take no for an answer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

I'd like to know where he's getting this 29meg from. The BT checker when you go to sign up pulls information from the same database that the Wholesale checkers shows above. Out of curiousity, could you pop your number into BT's checker as if you were going to order infinity?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

well previously when I did a phone line check I was getting a FTTC option giving me a max speed of 44mb and an impacted low of 29mb so probably from that.

But as you can see from my previous image it now doesn't have an option for FTTC and the BT website also says the following. 

bt website

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

That is strange. However it won't be affecting your speeds.
0 Ratings