Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cstamford
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Infinity speedchecker results

Go to solution

H guys,

I have a question regarding predicted speeds on BT Infinity. I'm moving into my new flat on June 26th - I'm consdiering switching over from Virgin's 152mb service due to poor latency, unreliability, and low upload (I upload large files regularly) on their service.

My question is regarding the difference between FTTC Range A & FTTC Range B. I understand from the description in one of the stickied threads that range B is used when the line is 'impacted' - does this mean when a fault is on the line? Am I likely to receive the full 80/20 (see below for the speedchecker results), or will the actual speed lie between range A and range B? If it helps, the cabinet is on the corner of the street, approx. 10 metres as the crow flies from the new flat.

Here are my results from the speedchecker:

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Infinity speedchecker results

Go to solution

The range will be 71.8-80 but given your close proximity it should be closer to the 80.

Impacted should relate to the construction features of the line rather than there being a fault per se.

sjtp
Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Chances are you'll be at top speed.  Even at the lower Range B speed you won't notice much difference.  These are sync speeds, real speeds a fraction lower even at best because of overheads.

The maximum real upload speed seems to be around 18.6Mbps and depends a lot on the target site.  I routinely get over 18Mbps to SquirrelSave.

cstamford
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks for the replies guys! Another question, related to install: will the Openreach engineer supply me with an Openreach VSDL modem during service install? I understand that the Home Hub 5 has a built-in VSDL modem, but I want to use my own router without this functionality - so a modem will be needed.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
No, you will get a HH5. You should ask him for a modem though
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
cstamford
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

For anyone interested, here's the conclusion . . .

My BT Infinity service was installed on Thursday. I asked the engineer if he could install an Openreach modem but he said he was unable to do so (I presume because he was a contractor). Nevertheless, the installation went smoothly and my HH5 seems to be working fine. It restarted a couple of times on Friday (probably to update itself), but has been holding a strong and stable connection since then.

Here are the stats from the router:

And a speedtest result:

My latency to bbc.co.uk is a little higher than it was on Virgin - 26ms vs 24ms - but I imagine that will go down as DLM settles on my line and interleaving is turned off. The download speed is half of what is was on Virgin's service, but the upload (which is really the most important thing to me) has increased significantly so I'm happy about that. Most importantly, I haven't noticed the traffic management / degradation of service during peak times that I experienced with Virgin.

Overall, I'm happy with the installation and the service provided so far. Hopefully the latency will go down a bit in time. Thanks for the help everyone!

0 Ratings