cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

BT Infinity - stable upload, rubbish download

We moved from Virgin to BT Infinity in December and to be honest the service hasn't been very good so far and I'm wondering if the collective wisdom on here can help me to pinpoint the problem.

Our predicted speed before installation was 59Mb down and 15Mb up. Our infinity set up is via a huawei modem that connects to an Apple time capsule which is used for managing the PPoe connection and routing.

What we've found is the following:

- The upload speed is consistent and stable at around 15Mb every time it's been tested using either the BT speedchecker or speedtest (using a couple of different london based servers for accuracy).

- the download speed is all over the place. In the morning and early afternoon it ranges from 35Mb to 71Mb but then degrades early afternoon / evening / weekends to as low as 5Mb.

The download speeds are consistently bad when measured even when using an ethernet connection to the router -  ping / traceroute tests and stallling on youtube seem to point to buffering.

On the basis that the upload speed is what we were told to expect and the download speed is all over the place but seems to reflect time of day, is this likely to be a WAN problem?

I did contact "Technical Support" but to be honest gave up out of frustration because the guy was clearly reading from a script and not even listening to my answers - it's one of the worst tech support calls I've ever had in which he went on and on about needing to plug the home hub to get things working and didn't even listen when I told him I could see issues on a traceroute that were outside of the LAN.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Infinity - stable upload, rubbish download

Unfortunately when we agreed for the contract, they have a fair usage policy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 25

@csgohan4 wrote:

Infinity does not have a FUP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 25

@WestLondon wrote:

We moved from Virgin to BT Infinity in December and to be honest the service hasn't been very good so far and I'm wondering if the collective wisdom on here can help me to pinpoint the problem.

Our predicted speed before installation was 59Mb down and 15Mb up. Our infinity set up is via a huawei modem that connects to an Apple time capsule which is used for managing the PPoe connection and routing.

What we've found is the following:

- The upload speed is consistent and stable at around 15Mb every time it's been tested using either the BT speedchecker or speedtest (using a couple of different london based servers for accuracy).

- the download speed is all over the place. In the morning and early afternoon it ranges from 35Mb to 71Mb but then degrades early afternoon / evening / weekends to as low as 5Mb.

The download speeds are consistently bad when measured even when using an ethernet connection to the router -  ping / traceroute tests and stallling on youtube seem to point to buffering.

On the basis that the upload speed is what we were told to expect and the download speed is all over the place but seems to reflect time of day, is this likely to be a WAN problem?

I did contact "Technical Support" but to be honest gave up out of frustration because the guy was clearly reading from a script and not even listening to my answers - it's one of the worst tech support calls I've ever had in which he went on and on about needing to plug the home hub to get things working and didn't even listen when I told him I could see issues on a traceroute that were outside of the LAN.

At the moment there are a few people that are saying they have the same problem. Do you have the same issues when you use the HomeHub as well?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 25

"At the moment there are a few people that are saying they have the same problem. Do you have the same issues when you use the HomeHub as well?"

Yes - albeit I've only plugged it in a few times to rule out any problems with my own kit which worked very reliably with our last provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 25

@WestLondon wrote:

"At the moment there are a few people that are saying they have the same problem. Do you have the same issues when you use the HomeHub as well?"

Yes - albeit I've only plugged it in a few times to rule out any problems with my own kit which worked very reliably with our last provider.

In that case, you've joined the club. There must be a major problem somewhere for this to effect so many people and from from different areas.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@csgohan4 wrote:

I believe they do, they throttle P2P from 4pm to midnight

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 25

@csgohan4 wrote:
@Ratty2012 wrote:

@csgohan4 wrote:

Throttling has nothing to do with a FUP because throttling is about reducing the speed, while a FUP is about the amount of data you use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 25

@csgohan4 wrote:
@Ratty2012 wrote:

@csgohan4 wrote:

There is no FUP:)

But P2P does fall under 'network management'

You can read about it here.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 25

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@WestLondon wrote:

In that case, you've joined the club. There must be a major problem somewhere for this to effect so many people and from from different areas.

There is no congestion on the BT fibre network right? 😉

0 Ratings