cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Venatacia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Infinity wireless problem

Hello. We just updated to BT infinity a few days ago from are old BB, the enginer came out and installed it, all seemed fine untill one of are 3 computers in the house (all on Belkin wireless) started to have a problem.

The computer connects and dissconnects when im on my normal web-sites that i goto (router light is still on). Thought maybe the wireless dongle was broken, so i tried it on one of the other computers and it works fine. So i thought ok, ill uninstall and re-install the Belkin software but that didn't work. So i connected up the cable to the router and that works fine. Im lost as to why my wireless will not work on my computer but the other two computers work fine. (all 3 computers worked fine on the old BB just 3 days ago). Any suggestions would be welcome.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
West
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Infinity wireless problem

Could it be that the HH3 wireless setting is set to the "n" setting?

The default is "bg/n"

You wireless card if the set up is not new maybe a "b/g" card.

It easy changed

Not an expert so hope this helps.

0 Ratings
spooksman
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

After the reading I have done on here in the last couple of weeks and my experience with a couple of HH3's, I'm not sure that wireless connectivity is the HH3's strong point.

Best answer seems to be to buy another router, although personally I think what BT provide should actually work. The Mods on here are very good at trying to help mind.

G
0 Ratings
Venatacia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

I'm starting to think that also about the HH3. If my other two computers are working fine with the wireless then my 3rd computer should also since they are all set-up the same. Leads me to think that the HH3 can't handle 3 wireless connections which would be silly - surely.

I'm really trying not to contact the help line, no offence but i can't understand the people from india even though they are very polite, more so when your a little hard of hearing and past experience of these helplines never really help either, you always come away thinking, great an hour of chatting and its still not fixed.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

Hi

Just to confirm I have a PC and laptop both running windows XP, two laptops one with Vista and the other win 7 and finally a netbook with win 7... and all work well at the same time on my Infinity installation.

So don't worry about your 3 overloading things.

Is it possible to move the problem machine closer to the HUB as a test?

I am just trying to establish a working situation for it.... If it works can you then move it to the same area as one of the other machines and try it there?

It may be that the wireless channel your HH3 is on is ok on one side of the house but may be getting interfered on another side.... 

May be a neighbours signal on that side... or closer to microwave/video sender/street lights/Christmas lights, basically anything noisy.

You could try one of the working machines in the area that has problems but unless they are identical machines one may have better interference protection or wireless card.

I would download Innsider  and make a note of the channel your presently on and then go into the HH3 advanced settings - wireless and move from Automatic to a specific clear/least congested wireless channel... apply.

Some other wireless info msg #2 here.- http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Homehub-slow-wifi/td-p/323713

And http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Disconnecting-for-2-3-seconds/m-p/322001#M17673

Edit I've assumed they're laptops that you can easily move around ie on wireless connection.... but reading your post again they may be PC's so not to easy to lug around.

So I would concentrate on identifying a clear/least used wireless channel using the inssider wireless scanner and then take the HH3 off automatic and try a few of those wireless channels.

Inssider is free but only for PC's not Macs... I think iStumbler or something similar is for Macs.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Venatacia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Hi, All three are PCs and hard to move (otherwords there in the only spaces available). The troublesome PC (mine - windows Vista) is only 1 meter / 2 meters away from the hub, in my room basicly and the hub is facing the computer.

I hope the hub isn't getting interference from neighbours (only one close neighbour as the otherside is away living abroad). The hole point of getting this new infinity hub was for a better connection and as they state on TV (something I never believe in, as know one ever tells the truth about their products) but that aside the hub is ment to give a more stable connection with the signal not dropping - so they say. Well if it was to be the neighbours interference then i can't do much about that. The enginer fixed the hub in my room and said that will be the only point to use the HH3 hub/router.

No street lights near by / no christmas lights, nothing I can see that would cause any interference.

I will look into this Innsider you mentioned and try what you have suggested, thank you for your time and help. Ill post back my findings when i have the time.

0 Ratings
spooksman
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Just for my interest - have you a 'Type A' or 'Type B' HH3?

It tells you at the bottom of the management pages - something like this - Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) | Time and date 11:03 03/12/11.

G
0 Ratings
Venatacia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

It says at the bottom of the hub - type B.

0 Ratings
spooksman
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Oh well - bang goes that theory - thanks anyway!

G
0 Ratings
Venatacia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Hello, just tried changing the channel from auto to channel 2 as you suggested and no change.

Its weird because it says im connected and we have just gone through and checked everything is set up ok. Still loose connection for a number of seconds and then its back up... then just keeps on doing that whether im on the internet or not. Its like the router or something is saying yep your connected but actually iv changed my mind for a few seconds but its ok you can come back .... something is pulling my leg for sure.

Anyway i have connected the cable back up and its fine with that. Frustrating though.

0 Ratings