Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JacobB
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

BT Infinity,

Dear, All. 

I am wondering if someone could tell me, When the Upgrades start,I was told my phone line will be Upgraded, But no word Yet, Unfortunately, I can't get the new service as such, As my town is off the list. But the new phone line will be a start i guess. Thank's everyone, 🙂

JacobB
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: BT Infinity,

Hi JacobB,

Thanks for the post. You can check when your exchange is ugraded by entering your number here . You'll need to check regularily for updates.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
thestig888
Message 3 of 29

hey there i recently got an email that read as follows

Hello,

Good news. We’re rolling out our faster broadband and we’ll be upgrading our network in your area on 16-Dec-10. This’ll make the things you do online quicker.

i'm just wondering if the upgrade will mean i can get infinity broadband after the 16th december, or if it's just a standard service improvement

thanks Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 29

Have a look here - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

If its infinity there there will be an appropriate date against FTTC status
0 Ratings
dashfixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 29

I moved from ADSL to Infinity option 2 unlimited service, haha unlimited is the word they use very lightly, actually its VERY limited as soon as you exceed 100mb you got from 20mb speed to 1mb speed (supposed to be 40mb) I was happy to have 20mb in the first week and this allowed me to download movies and stream video from my slingbox and so on however to have 1 week of fibre optic super fast then 3 weeks of slower than ADSL is pointless, and when I complained they first said it was a network problem then on my second complaint they said I was being limited on my clearly advertised "unlimited" service, even when  you read their "fair usage policy" it clearly says option2 user will not be limited, and that video streaming is ok.

I never had less than 8MB downloads on my old ADSL so this Fibre Optic rubbish I've been mis sold is a joke, and when I said I want to go back to my ADSL they wanted to charge me a cancelation fee................ this wouldn't happen with another ISP at 100MB service............. wake up BT your loosing a 10 year customer............and I suspect I'm not alone, oh and by the way this isn't actually an overuse problem as if you search the net you'll see that ALL infinity users are being throttled and given lots of different excuses, this was BT's second reason as when I first called I hadn't went over their limit and they said it was a technical error and they would fix it.

Why dont BT throttle the speed to 8MB ADSL speeds rather than 1MB and re-advertise the service as a Limited service?

Another disgusted customer........

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

@dashfixer

I assume you intended exceed 100gb not 100mb .  The FUP on infinity option 2 is now 300gb and has been for the last few months

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

@dashfixer wrote:

I moved from ADSL to Infinity option 2 unlimited service, haha unlimited is the word they use very lightly, actually its VERY limited as soon as you exceed 100mb you got from 20mb speed to 1mb speed (supposed to be 40mb) I was happy to have 20mb in the first week and this allowed me to download movies and stream video from my slingbox and so on however to have 1 week of fibre optic super fast then 3 weeks of slower than ADSL is pointless, and when I complained they first said it was a network problem then on my second complaint they said I was being limited on my clearly advertised "unlimited" service, even when  you read their "fair usage policy" it clearly says option2 user will not be limited, and that video streaming is ok.

I never had less than 8MB downloads on my old ADSL so this Fibre Optic rubbish I've been mis sold is a joke, and when I said I want to go back to my ADSL they wanted to charge me a cancelation fee................ this wouldn't happen with Virgin Broadbands 100MB service............. wake up BT your loosing a 10 year customer............and I suspect I'm not alone, oh and by the way this isn't actually an overuse problem as if you search the net you'll see that ALL infinity users are being throttled and given lots of different excuses, this was BT's second reason as when I first called I hadn't went over their limit and they said it was a technical error and they would fix it.

Why dont BT throttle the speed to 8MB ADSL speeds rather than 1MB and re-advertise the service as a Limited service?

Another disgusted customer........

1 you have a 300Gb  limit before you are peak time capped not a 100mb

2 you are capped between 5pm and 12 midnight all other times are uncapped

3 the other service you mention also cap after there fup

4 the throttling you mention was a major network problem 

like adsl  infinity is also an up to service not  a 40mb service as you say

Broadband package Monthly usage allowance

BT Total Broadband Option 110GB
BT Total Broadband Option 240GB
BT Total Broadband Option 3Unlimited*
BT Infinity Option 140GB
BT Infinity Option 2Unlimited*

* Subject to Network Management  

Network management  in other words FUP

dashfixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 29

Yes I meant 100MB.

This 300MB limit has not been reached by me and I'm still down to **bleep** speed.

And why is there a limit when it's marketed as Unlimited?, sorry but any other business would to in trouble with trading standards for this type of advertising so why aren't BT.

The fair use policy they are so happy to mention clearly says there is no limit to option2 customers.

As for "subject to network management" thats easy to write at the end of a statement, but it means nothing to the buyer as it doesnt explain that your broadband will be throttled to less than 2mb within a week.

Funny how these forums are choc full of people with the same problem, will this problem really go away next month? or is this just the speed you can expect from BT as they can't handle the traffic?

0 Ratings
dashfixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

B. Network Management 4. What is BT's Traffic Management Policy?

BT continuously monitors network performance and reduces the speed available to very heavy users (typically less than 1 per cent of all customers) during a given month to ensure that the service received by other customers is not impacted through extremely heavy usage by a minority of people.

Customers who are classified as very heavy users will experience significantly reduced speed at peak times (typically 5pm-midnight every day but these times may change depending on the demand on the network) for a period of 30 days, or for as long as very heavy use continues. This applies to customers on all Options.

BT Total Broadband Option 3 and BT Infinity Option 2 allow unlimited downloads and uploads within the monthly rental price, so customers on these products will not be charged for over-use. However, this does not preclude BT from reducing your speed if you are a heavy user in order to protect the experience for the rest of our customers.

This end phrase doesnt even make sense, first part clearly says option 2 users will not be charged for over use but the second part says your speed will be throttled for over use, so of course you wont be charged for over use because the service will be throttled so that you cant overuse it.

Also whats the point of buying super fast broadband if you are better off with standard 8mb unlimitedas its pretty hard to overuse 8mb which means more than 1 weeks use at least before your throttled, so you might as well stick to 8mb instead of jumping to fibre optic infinity as your be banned from its use for 3 weeks out of the month and it'l be 2mb or less service rather than the 8mb you've probably enjoyed for years

0 Ratings
dashfixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Got Infinity start of Dec, so I've been using for over 3 weeks now and still haven't reached the so called LIMIT on my Limitless Broadband............what you saying now BT?

My Usage Less Than 300GB

speed test1

0 Ratings