cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinty, Xbox 360 and a Mac book pro! Slooooooooow!

Hi all,

Iv just switched from talk-talk where I was receiving around 2 mbps. I was delighted when I ran the speedtest.net and saw 37mbps with BT infinity!!

However! Everything seems so much slower with it, web pages take ages before even loading! Im running Firefox on a 2011 Mac book pro.

And to make things worse, im now experiencing serious lag on COD on the Xbox as well as the whole thing just disconeccting(NAT setting show as open).

Highly fustrating and it just dosent make sense! Could it be BTs router?? Im running everything wirelessly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinty, Xbox 360 and a Mac book pro! Slooooooooow!

Sudadipps,

I would try the Xbox on a wired connection and see if that makes a difference, also try and check your NAT settings on the xbox.  Best option for NAT is open, if its anything but that the its a router issue and some configurations need to be amended.

Remember that using multiple wireless signals halves the data received via wifi.

Example

Wifi N signal can receive upto 300 mbps

if you have say 5 devices using wifi to the router than you would do (300/5=60)

Which means each device gets a max connection data rate to the router of 60 mbps.

Also to factor in is Floors/Walls/Other wifi devices (E.g. DECT Phones) can also reduce that wifi data rate down futher

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Yeah my NAT setting are open. Theres no way of getting a wired connection to my xbox as its too far from the router to drag a cable.

Also I only use one device at a time so it shouldnt be halved should it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Ah right I just assumed as you mentioned "Running everything wireless"

But the other issue still remains that Floors/Walls/Other WiFi devices can disrupt the WiFi Signal. 

Have a look at powerline adaptors, they use the internal electrics to create a wired connection (No Signal redution compared to WiFi)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I also found my XB wireless connection to be extremely slow with HH3 and inifinity setup. Previously wireless connection fine with other wireless routers. It should be good as the new Xboxes have wireless N as standard.

However I bought a pair of 200mbps T-link powerline adapters from Amazon for £35 and they work an absolute charm, connection is rock steady and fast!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I had the same problem as you. If you are running your xbox wirelessly try changing the wifi channel on your home hub manaully until you find the one that works best for you. The smart wirelssly is not very smart in my experince. Here is a link for a step by step guide http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32236/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my... Let me know if this works it did for me. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Changing that over has made a WORLD of difference! Many thanks mate!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

no worries mate Smiley Happy

0 Ratings