Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gav678
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Inifinity Speed Estimate (New Exchange) - seems slow

Hi

I am pleased to announce that as of today I have been able to order BT Infinity 2 on the newly enabled exchange at Desborough (EMDESBO) for installation on August 21st.

My current ADSL speed is roughly 13mb down 1.1 up. Stats at the bottom of post...

I know we are 2.1km from the exchange, with the cabinet only 0.7km away (being a new estate you can see the trench path for the cabling).

The initial estimate for BT Infinity is 19.8mb down, 2.9 up which frankly seems extremely stingy and low. Is this truly a reasonable estimate or is it because of it being a newly installed exchange and they don't want to overegg it? Do they ramp the speed up over time?

Any views or experience elsewhere appreciated. previous BT engineers have said that 30 out of 38 on Infinity would be expected with 60 on Infinity 2.

Seems slow?

Regards

Gavin

ADSL Stats

Line state:Connected
Connection time:23 days, 00:19:07
Downstream:12.96 Mbps
Upstream:1.129 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):27.9 dB / 15.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):49126 / 297
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):130630 / 204
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):35374 / 200
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Inifinity Speed Estimate (New Exchange) - seems slow

the estimates are normally fairly close from your distance from the cabinet may be 0.7km away but the line routing may be longer this will affect you infinity speed the only best result is when the service goes live in your home  at .7km  from the cabinet  the  infinity losses will be higher 

0 Ratings
flamey
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

@Gav678 wrote:

Any views or experience elsewhere appreciated. previous BT engineers have said that 30 out of 38 on Infinity would be expected with 60 on Infinity 2.

Whoever said that has no idea how it works, if you get 30 on a 40/10 profile you will also get 30 on a 80/20.

0 Ratings
Gav678
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Not wishing to cast doubt on te engineer, he mentioned an initial phase of 30 then a phase 2 is introduced. Not sure if that's a regular thing for a newly upgraded infinity exchange?
0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 8

your current speed is low you should get 16mbps at that attenuation
perhaps your line is known to be slow
0 Ratings
Gav678
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I had mentioned that to BT previously and they said it is within the acceptable range of 12-17 and wouldn't investigate until it dropped out of that!
0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 7 of 8

I was predicted 39/8 and I get 63/20. I live 800meters away from the cab by road length.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Gav678 have you tried connecting your hub to the test socket then rechecking your connection speed your low connection speed could be caused by an internal wiring issue it is quite common with ADSL services i you would care to repost on the speed and connection board you will get all the help you need to improve that speed
0 Ratings