Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Mail - Outlook 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am after some help with lost emails using Outlook 2007.  I used another laptop a few days ago and as my own pc wasn't working a few months ago, I set up my bt outlook on there.

However, when I came to check my own pc all the emails have gone apart from the emails that I have sent.  I've checked all my folders in Outlook including the deleted items folder.

Is there free software that I could download to see if the emails are still on my pc as I don't really want to have to take it a shop etc.

I'm using Windows Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Mail - Outlook 2007

The first thing to check is to see if they are still on the BT server. Have you tried logging onto your BT mail

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

If they are not there it is probably because of how you set up Outlook on the other laptop.

You need to know how the Outlook accounts were set up on each computer.

If you had Outlook set up on your own computer as an IMAP account, this replicates all your emails and folders that are on the BT server.

If you set up Outlook on the other laptop as an IMAP account it would replicate everything on the server and if you then went onto delete the emails from that computer this would delete them from the server so when you checked on your own computer they would now also be deleted from it.

If you set up Outlook on the other laptop as a POP3 account and did not tick the box "leave a copy on server" it would download your emails onto the new laptop then delete them from the server. A POP3 account does not replicate the folders that are on the server.

Either way, you need to check the BT server first using the link I posted and then check which method Outlook was set up as.

If the emails are still on the laptop that you used you could transfer them to your own computer.

See link how to find the files if they are still on the computer

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I've logged onto my email through the BT website and my emails are no longer now. My Outlook account is set up as a IMAP account on my computer as well as the laptop.

I've also done a search on my pc but unable to find them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Did you delete them from the laptop when you stopped using it? If you did, because it was set up as IMAP, it will have deleted them from the BT server and your PC.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

No I didn't as they are still on the laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

You just need to copy the .PST file from the laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Are you sure that Outlook is set up on the laptop as an IMAP account. If it is and the emails and folders are still there they must still be on the BT server and you should be able to access them from the email log on page via webmail.

If the laptop account was set up as a POP3 account, follow the link I previously posted and copy the folders once you find them and transfer them to your PC.

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Locating-​the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I've been using Windows Mail on the laptop and the pc i'm currently using is Microsoft Outlook.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

You need to establish for certain if your Windows Mail on the laptop was set up as a POP3 account. If you go into the account settings and check you should see something like this.

POP

I strongly suspect that you have set it up as POP3 account and not ticked the box "leave a copy on server". As I have already explained, this will have caused all your emails that were on the server to be downloaded onto the laptop and then deleted from the server.

Because you have your Outlook on your PC set up as an IMAP account which synchronises with everything that is done on the server, when the POP3 account deleted them from the server, because of the synchronisation, they will also be deleted from Outlook.

Your only option is to do as I have suggested and look for the PST files on your laptop and copy them to a pendrive and transfer them to your PC.

The link that I previously posted tells you how to search for the files.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

If you have been using Windows Live mail on the laptop the mail will not be in a .PST file. All the mails will be as individual .eml files. You will first need to export the mails to convert them to .PST

In WLM, go to the icon in the top left hand corner and select Export Mail > Email messages. In the dialogue window that opens select Microsoft Exchange and click next. This will create a .PST file of the mails which you can copy.

wlm8.jpg

wlm9.jpg

0 Ratings