cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

BT Mail Security Issue

No matter how hard I explain, escalate, speak with 2nd line etc and how much logical proof I provide I just get scripted answers and hit a brick wall. I will try and be as articulate as I can to explain my issue in the hope that someone understands.

I have two email adresses xxx@btinternet.com and xxx@btopenworld.com which according to BT are linked and one and the same. Following a security email from BT advising to change passwords in the wake of the BT Yahoo hack I duly did this via the BT portal. It then became apparent that the password change wasn't synching between the BTOpenworld (my BT Portal ID) and BTinternet email accounts. My client mail would only accept the old pwd. (Despite allowing weeks for replication to occur, recreating account, from different devices etc). Having raised a ticket, I was informed by BT that there was an issue with my account. Because I hadn't used within x number of months it was in suspended mode marked for deletetion. I informed this wasn't the case and was told level 2 would investigate and get back to me.

Short story, L2 simply said they sorry but my email has now been deleted and there is nothing they can do.

Then, noticed that my btinternet mail was still able to be accessed with old original pwd and was never deleted despite BT insisting it had been. (Further proof that they didn't know what they were doing or that the issue was theirs) A clear indication that my account is either corrupt or there were sync issues on BT own servers. (Nothing to do with client config but try explain that to helpdesk) They even remotely logged onto my machine to verify everything. Apologised then a few days later told that they shouldn't have deleted (which they never got right as it didnt delete) and have now reactivated my account. Changed my pwd and I can login to webmail with both btopenworld and btinternet with the new password.

However, and this is the bit that BT just don't get. I have allowed two weeks for syncing as was advised client email logins can take time to replicate the change. (standard answer) No matter from which machine, mobile, tablet even telnet to IMAP and PO3 ports to authenticate it only ever accepts my old year old original pwd. So despite helpdesk saying they don't support email clients they are missing the point. It is BT servers that authenticate my credentials. Telnetting directly to the mail server to authenticate and it only does with old pwd proves point and eliminates client issues and proves their servers are out of sync) Namely mail.btinternt.com so with my limited knowledge either pop\IMAP is not enabled on my  newly reset account or there is serious password sync issue on BT domain controllers. The bottom line is as long as I can login to webmail there is nothing more BT can do for me and have closed a ticket that has been ongoing for months. How, difficult can it be? The issue is that BT will authenticate my user account against an email pwd I am unable to manage or change i.e the old one because somewhere in their domain it hasn't picked up the change. This is no longer a technical issue but a DPA issue that leaves me and BT servers vulnerable because they fail to investigate off their script or even admit there is an issue despite me being able to prove it. I have been a customer for 20 years and cannot believe the postion i am now left in. What do you do when they recognise your issue but say they can't help you? Move to Sky?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Mail Security Issue

There will be nothing any of the forum members will be able to do to resolve your problem so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present and it being the New Year holiday coming up, once you have replied to them by the link, it will no doubt take more than 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

@markhanekom I'm really sorry about the problems you've had with your email password. Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to get this looked into. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Okay, understood. Many thanks for quick reply.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Hi @markhanekom,

I tried calling today, sorry I missed you. I've had an update advising this should be sorted so can you check and let me know?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings