cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

BT Master socket

The master socket is down stairs and I want it in one of the bed rooms now will the engineer when I order bt infinity install it for free or will I need to pay.
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Master socket

The engineer will either:

1   Swap the wiring around if it is suitable to make an extension socket become the Master and vice-versa,

or

2   Install a Data Extension kit to provide an outlet where you wish within certain limits.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Seems to be a lot of questions on Master sockets at the moment Smiley Very Happy

See my answers on the other threads, but I've (without issue) on a few occasions employed a local telecoms engineer to move the master socket to another existing socket in the property.  Cost for doing this is usualy £70 - £125 including parts and you can rest assured that you are using an expert.

This method means you aren't laying any further cables, pulling up any floorboards or chasing out any walls.   This won't work of course if you wish to fit the master socket where presently there isn't any cabling / exisiting socket.

Good luck.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 17

BT don't charge for the work done at the time of an Infinity connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

They can install a 30m cat5 extension for free!!! If you ask.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

When I got mine installed the cable came in via the lounge then went to the bedroom, the BT engr told me that it was too windy to put a new cable in, altered my wiring & told me I couldn't use the socket downstairs for a phone, Luckily I had corldess phones.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

@Scotchbob wrote:

When I got mine installed the cable came in via the lounge then went to the bedroom, the BT engr told me that it was too windy to put a new cable in, altered my wiring & told me I couldn't use the socket downstairs for a phone, Luckily I had corldess phones.

They make phones with Cords on ???  Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

I know that but I couldn't plug a phone in downstairs because the bt engr used the socket downstairs as a joint box

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 17

@Scotchbob wrote:

I know that but I couldn't plug a phone in downstairs because the bt engr used the socket downstairs as a joint box

The engineer did that with mine and fitted an extension faceplate

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

@Jarroda wrote:

@Scotchbob wrote:

They make phones with Cords on ???  Smiley LOL

They are the ones you use when there's a power cut and all the cordless phones stop working.

0 Ratings