cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 171 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

@mcronline wrote:
I doubt it undermines BTs landline services. If the BT Mobile service was unlimited then maybe. I for one wouldn't tether to a mobile service as an alternative to a landline, especially as their is no limit on most broadband services.

I didn't say tempting for everyone, just some. There are plenty out there who manage with broadband limited to 20GB or less. With a good 4G signal at home, £20 a month for 20GB with tethering could replace both landline (nudging that sum on its own) and broadband (including the patchy BT WiFi service). It's only a guess but BT must have realised it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
adamsaltiel
Beginner
Message 172 of 295

Go to solution

Oh dear oh dear,

I have a Kingston Mobile lite which I hadn't been using, but can anyway as battery back up and, lo and behold, a means to tether my iPad. I think that's the least cost option. Otherwise there are other plans from other carriers -**Edited**

End of commercial plugs for disparate companies.

(Personally I like my workaround as I think BT *should* provide tethering, after all the reason they give in this forum is nonsense, to keep within the plan, on a 20Gb/mnth data allowance?!)

0 Ratings
mcronline
Contributor
Message 173 of 295

Go to solution
Is showing a video. Using mobile Netflix for example, using a mobile phone with a chromecast to mirror the image count as tethering?
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 174 of 295

Go to solution

@mcronline wrote:
Is showing a video. Using mobile Netflix for example, using a mobile phone with a chromecast to mirror the image count as tethering?

No. The phone is effectively just a remote and doesn't use mobile data. In fact, once you've set up the cast you can switch the phone off.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
mcronline
Contributor
Message 175 of 295

Go to solution
It is definitely using mobile data as I have no landline at the moment. What I am saying is all that is happening is the screen is mirrored from the mobile phone there are no downloads on the other device.
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 176 of 295

Go to solution

Hi, using Chromecast will not use your data allowance on your phone.

It will use your broadband allowance.

Stew

0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 177 of 295

Go to solution
That depends - if you're mirroring the phone display, then it uses data via the phone. If you're casting, then it's using whatever wifi it's connected to.
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 178 of 295

Go to solution

Agreed. I was stating that using Chromcast will not use mobile data.

Stew

rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 179 of 295

Go to solution
It will though. If he's mirroring the phone display via Chromecast, then it uses mobile data. It's only if he's casting that it uses broadband.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 180 of 295

Go to solution

Despite the sidetracking, the answer to the original question is still "No" - whether you're casting or mirroring, it's not tethering.

Stew's correct though. Chromecast does not use mobile data even if you're mirroring; the phone does.

--