Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vipvilla
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Mobile and 3G iphone

Go to solution

Hi

I recently bought an unlocked i phone 3G. When I put in my BT Mobile SIM I get a message "Could not activate cellular data network".

However I also have a Tesco SIM, and when I put that SIm in the iphone then 3G works perfectly.

Please help, I would love to use 3G with BT Mobile on my iphone.

many thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Mobile and 3G iphone

Go to solution

Because BT use Vodafone's network, the Vodafone data network settings get loaded from the SIM. You need to manually enter BT's setup:

Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data Network:

Cellular Data

APN: btmobile.bt.com

Username: bt

Password: bt

MMS

APN: btmobile.bt.com

Username: bt

Password: bt

MMSC: http://mms.bt.com/servlets/mms

MMS Proxy: 212.182.137.012:8799

vipvilla
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi

brilliant, that seems to have solved it.

The 3G signal seems to alternate between "3g" and "o". Do u know what the difference is please ?

many thanks

0 Ratings
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

"o" means GPRS

"E" means EDGE

When the 3G signal is marginal, it will switch from "3G" to either "E" or "o" to keep a data connection alive.

0 Ratings
Haribo10
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I've tried entering all these details, yet my iphone is still showing that it's connected to vodafone and not bt.  The iphone was previously on a contract with vodafone but has now been unlocked but i can't seem to get it to work with my bt sim......step by step help of setting up from scratch would very much appreciated please.....

0 Ratings
johnboy49
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

thanks for that advice on bt sim in an i phone unlocked from vodaphone, amazing i came here for advice having been given the run around by bt's tech team, who really did not have a clue, answers ranged from "you need a device driver" to i phone is not compatible with the bt mobile network??? 

Tags (1)
ssdhanjal
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Malcolm This worked wonderful on iPhone 4 now I have just got iPad 1 3G and would like to set up for data download using btmobile if possible

I did get the VPN info field but did npt find field for MMS input

I am sure you will have answer to this one

Merry Christmas

Regards

Danny

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
supamac
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

so I set all the settings as you rightly instruct below and works perfectly until I step out the front door (away from my wi-fi) when it all immediately reverts to wap.voafone.co.uk etc and no matter how I overtype the correct btmobile settings, it simply reverts it back to vodafone. I was away from home an hour ago and tried to no avail. Now im home again, the settings have automatically reverted to btmobile without the need for me to do anything!!!  

What am I doing wrong?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
We have a number of company iPhones, we changed our service provider to BT Bussiness, we have been issued with the BT sim, we found that we had to change the VPN from Vodafone to btmobile which is fine BUT they all (13 in total, 4's & 5's) consistently revert back to the Vodafone settings. I suspect that BT need to issue new sim's with the btmobile VPN setting written to the sim.........unless anyone has an alternative that works??
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

If you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

as they are more likely to be able to help.

0 Ratings