cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zippee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Modem

Does anybody know if BT will supply a modem for a new Infinity order/install. I really don't want a HomeHub 5 because of the issues it has with dlna etc. I'm hoping to get them to provide a modem with my order, but I read they only provide a homehub 5 because the modem is built in.

Any feedback/infromation would be grealy appreciated.

Many Thanks
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Modem

Hi Zippee,

From my experience, BT now only sell the BT Home Hub 5 with the Infinity packages. You could buy a BT Home Hub 4 and then a secondary modem if you wanted to.

Hope this helps.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Bt now only supply HH5 as already said.  you can still buy a modem at auction and then use HH5 no need to buy HH4

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

What's the point in buying a BT Home Hub 5 with a modem when it's already got one built in? The OP stated that he doesn't want to use a BT Home Hub 5.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

if you read many posts on the forum people have found that using a modem with the HH5 (or HH4 there is little difference) that there connection was more stable.  The problem many have is drops in conection and the HH5 inbuilt modem appears to be the cause

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Zippee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I think I'll pick up a drayek vdsl modem & Asus router. I've been told to avoid the homehubs like the plague due to the lack of dlna support. (I've got a nas drive & a server back up feeding media to playstaions etc).

I'll flog the homehub5 on ebay, if I have to have it.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

They will send you one with any new Infinity order.  If you really wanted to, you could send it back within 14 days under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.  The only advantage that I can see in doing so is that if you were to leave BT within 12 months, then they could not charge you for it.  If you intend to stay for 12 months, then you can do what you like with it.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 8 of 8

@Zippee wrote:
I think I'll pick up a drayek vdsl modem & Asus router. I've been told to avoid the homehubs like the plague due to the lack of dlna support. (I've got a nas drive & a server back up feeding media to playstaions etc).

I'll flog the homehub5 on ebay, if I have to have it.

Thanks for the replies.

The BT Modem is an OK piece of kit & can be got for around £20 at auction, then if you don't want to use the HH5 as a router something like an Asus RT-N66U is a good option. Get the HG612 modem rather than the ECI one though.

Alternatively get a vdsl modem/router like i have - an Asus DSL-AC68U - or a TP-Link W9980 (I think that's the right one) which is far cheaper than the Asus & works just as well.

0 Ratings