cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mnico
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT NET PROTECTION PLUS

Is anybody having trouble downloading this. I have a new laptop and when I download it it gets to step 3 and then a message saying could not download comes up and states I should try to download again which I have about ten time still not working. Spoke to BT and then don't have a clue why it's not downloading.

Please help
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT NET PROTECTION PLUS

Do you have it installed on other computers. If so it may be that you have exceeded the number of licences you can have how ever my advice and that of others on the forum would be not to install BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

@gg30340 wrote:

...it may be that you have exceeded the number of licences you can have ...

The BT sales pitch is

Keep up to 15 computers safe from nasty viruses and spyware.

That's a load of devices. I mention that for the benefit of the person who asked the question.

0 Ratings
Mnico
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the replys  I have decided to  use another antivirus.  BT did get intouch with me today and told me I dont need any antivirus protection the windows defender is all I need?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@michaelkenward wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

...it may be that you have exceeded the number of licences you can have ...

The BT sales pitch is

Keep up to 15 computers safe from nasty viruses and spyware.

That's a load of devices. I mention that for the benefit of the person who asked the question.

... and many families have more than 15 devices. I mention that for the benefit of the person who answered the question!

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

@Mnico wrote:

BT did get intouch with me today and told me I dont need any antivirus protection the windows defender is all I need?

Huh?

While I agree with BT's advice, it seems odd that it should say that when it is pushing its own protection.

Then again, it is also touting the hopeless BT Cloud when there are superior free and low cost alternatives.

By the way, you may also find that your bank offers free protection. In my case, Barclays provides a free licence for Kaspersky.

Anyone who spends much time hanging about on different tech forums will have tales of woe about things broken by AV software. For example, the user interface with some Netgear modems and routers will not work if Kaspersky is anywhere in sight. To recover, you have to uninstall, not just disable Kaspersky. Then you can install the Netgear stuff and, get this, when you reinstall Kaspersky all is fine.

Whatever antivirus protection you use, do not assume that it is infallible, common sense is an invaluable extra tool, and do assume that it is likely to get in the way of something at some stage.

0 Ratings